Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

I'm in the mood....

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Sep 23, 2009.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Oh, but my suggestions for names of our little band I have made below did consider also Felipes Brazilian origin:
    "Amerbraz Germs" or simply "Alianellsarro Pfauls (Fouls)" or "Monfel Ands"!

To Felipe:
    You should becloud the background light in your living-room. That´s the best solution, I do agree to Monica.

I have purchased "Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection", which really has very nice montage-options. The disadvantage is, that it only has one video-track and one overlay-track, so that it is impossible to make a collage of three or four video-tracks. (I have thought about to bring in scans of the score additionally to our three video-tracks.) But on the other side it has very nice montage-effects.
    Adobe Premiere Pro has countless video- and audio-tracks, which you can overlay as much and as often as you like, but on the other side I have some problems with stand-pictures here and it works only well in avi-size, all other kinds of files make problems (especially if you use several videos with different kind of files).

What would you generally prefer: more a collage, in which the video are overlayed (sometimes two, sometimes all three, eventually plus score-pictures) or more a montage (which contains not so much overlays, let´s say up to overlay of only two videos)?

I will post an example of a montage, done with Pinnacle Studio 14 as soon as possible. (Will be funny, Monica, because you will be in that montage. :wink: )

O.k. Felipe, you may post your video on rapidshare for me, so I will convert it. But in every case I do need also a separate audio-file (wav-file, 44100 Hz, 16 bit) for the only audio-montage, which I do in Wave Lab 6.0.

2. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    mgasilva wrote:
    Thanks for listening, Marcello, I´m glad you like it! :D

:lol: That´s really funny, and I like especially the "beer-theme", but I fear, I may not steal the video by "Rohschinken" (engl=smoked ham), isn´t it? :lol:

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    OMG - Marcelo - I can't believe that video! Where do you guys find these things? :lol: And thanks a lot, because I've gone about a whole half-hour without hearing this music and now it's back in my head. Can't get it out - really- it's all I hear lately! And Andreas and Felipe did you notice that the music in that video is mostly the same version we are doing?

Andreas - can't wait to see your video! (very curious, indeed). As to a montage or collage - I cannot say which one I prefer. If a collage allows you to overlay all three of us playing at the same time, that would be very nice. But do you think the images of all three of us will be clear and fit into one video view - like will the images be large enough to actually see? If it's too small, maybe the montage with less overlays would be better. I really don't know - I'll wait to see your montage. Do you know of an example on youtube that is like a collage that I can see?

4. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
  5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, Marcelo - that's very helpful. Now I see what Andreas is talking about. Very neat! Andreas, I like that first one - the one with the guy in many different squares. The side-by-side video looks simpler, but I like that guy's ending to his video (funny). And wow - I'm really amazed at how creative some of these musical people are on their videos - I haven't watch that many until just now.

6. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    you were not that wrong when you said I live in Italy...
    São Paulo has quite an Italian atmosphere. most families here have Italian influences: during the 2nd war, a lot of Italians came here. even our accent is Italian. we are also very disorganised, like that funny video Europe x Italy. haha

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    this is a frustration of my whole life. as a kid, I've always received ONLY ONE gift for both birthday and "children's day", so no surprise if I become a psychopath someday.

BEWARE, Monica! [​IMG]

8. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Yes, for example my video of Bachs fugue in g-minor, WTC1, with a collage of the score and mountains of Switzerland.

Pianolady wrote:
    Yes, a collage allows exactly that. It´s possible to do crossfades between the videos of us three f.ex., but you are right, the clearness of pictures will certainly suffer, and I don´t know, if it´s really funny to see us three all the time overlayed. It´s more interesting to do it between other techniques and effects. So, I will think about this. In every case it´s a very creative job. :wink:

And here is my little funny experiment, it contains both, collage (simultaneous overlays) and montage (successive changes of different videos):

http://rapidshare.com/files/292678087/F ... e.avi.html

Pinnacle Studio 14 has the advantage to be much more simple and easy to handle than Adobe Premiere Pro, but I have difficulties with the cross-fade-functions somehow, sometimes I don´t get it like I want. (F.ex. there is one place, Monica, where after a cross-fade-transition your hands are not synchronal with the music for a moment, after one or two seconds the program seems to correct this automatically. (Such problems are not in Adobe Premiere.)

Nevertheless, have fun with my little experiment. (I just was trying out some new functions and I just wanted to learn, how to use the program, that´s why I did it. :) And, sorry Monica, for my bad pronounciation of English, it´s such a long time ago, I was in England. It was in the 80th, when I was several times in Cornwall at the International Musicians Seminar. I think I do pronounce very badly the word "collage", isn´t it? :oops: .)

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Wow, that´s really very inspiring! [​IMG]
    Would be great to built-in such gags as the Can-can-player does. I suppose it´s countless hours of work to make such a videos. But it´s so so great! I´m absolutely enthused! I like especially the overlay effect, when he plays four-hands, but that´s only possible, if you play at the same piano. We can´t do it at different pianos, because the position of the players does not fit. But I have seen a Chroma-key-effect in Pinnacle Studio, so it´s possible for example to bring just the person of a video into another video (the background is hidden). I really will think about these things. (Phew, it´s a science of itself, I have to admit...)

I also like Amerbraz Germs, btw.

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, I'm scared....[​IMG]... no I'm not [​IMG].

Andreas - first of all, what are you doing up this late??? Let me guess, you've been fooling around with this editing stuff all night? Hope you don't have to wake up too early tomorrow!

And thanks for the video - I love those funny sounds near the end. But I like that you spoke to me! When a man speaks to me with an accent, it's just sort of...sexy, I think. (now I'm a little :oops:, but oh well). And you said the word 'collage' just fine! The word, 'montage' should be pronounced very similarly - they should rhyme.

I'm sure you will do a wonderful job with the video editing. I know it is fun for you - I understand how you feel. But remember what you've been telling me - "we have all the time in the world", so don't feel you need to rush anything. btw - I'm definitely making my video on Thursday. Felipe, hopefully, I will be sending you the track either the same day or on Friday.

Amerbraz Germs - I don't know about this, guys. To me it sounds like a kind of bra - as in a woman's brassiere. Maybe that's why you like it. 8)

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    We have autumn-vacations now, so I haven´t to get up too early in the morning. I´m correcting papers all the day and in the evening I wanted to have some relaxation, and these experiment with the montage-techniques was just the right thing for me. (But you are right, it was nearly 3 am I went to bed, but I slept until 9, so it was o.k., I seldom do sleep more than 6 or 7 hours.)

So, it was "montage" I have pronounced in the wrong way, not "collage", which was right, thank you, Monica.

I will not rush anything, I do promise it, but indeed, the video-experiment is a great fun for me. Well, so I´m curious on your recording, Monica.

Hm... "sexy", "bra" ([​IMG])- where are your thoughts, Monica! :shock: :wink:

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Ok, so now, I'm Really embarrassed!

Say the following words below slowly at first, and then a little faster. This tells a person something very important and profound about oneself:

OHWHA - TAGOO - SIAM

:lol:

13. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    it seems like I'll be the one who will take more time to record, because:

1) you both are liers! you said you were full of stuff to do, but you have recorded so fast! hehe

2) my part is easy, but I'll have a hard work synchronizing my phrases with those of Monica... I think it'll be very difficult doing this by just listening to a previous recording.

Andreas... German vacations are something that I really enjoy! you have two weeks of vacation PER SEASON!
    here in São Paulo people seldom go on vacation. and when they go, it's seldom more than 20 days per year...
    anyway, you should sleep around 8 hours a day. it would make you play even better! hehe
    I feel the need of sleeping more than 8 hours a day... but this is something I never do =((

I'd pronounce "collage" and "montage" like in French... I think these two words are French, aren't they? I have this problem with some words. When I pronounce "technique", I speak with French accent instead of English or American... hehe

I prefer no bra at all. :D

now seriously... isn't this Amerbraz Germs too difficult to pronounce? I think Monpfauls Fel sounds more like a "real name" and it's easier to say, isn't it? hehe (I can't check right now, but I think that Monpfauls Fel was one of Andreas' suggestions.)

14. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is probably for the better. You'd look silly in one :p

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Not really - while you record - if you have earplugs in and listen to Andreas and my parts when they are spliced together, it should be very easy for you to record your part on top of that. We are not slowing down at all so it is straight 120 tempo all the way through. And I will record my part tomorrow, but it may take until Friday for me to get done editing it. We'll see how it goes....

names - ok, here are some more:

Amerizil Germs

Amzil-Germs

Amergermzilian

Germamerzilian

Pfaulsarrnello

Amegerbra (but there's that 'bra' thing again - which btw, I prefer no bra too! 8) )

16. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    but there are dotted rhythms and triplets, which are things that one plays a little faster, while others play a little slower... the result is like a bad orchestra, where the instruments are bad synchronized. hehe
    there are passages where me and you are playing the same notes in different octaves, and it should be altogether.

but okay. let's see if I'll find any difficult or not. and if I will, I'll listen to your recording several times, until I "incorporate" the rhythmic subleties.

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I know what you are saying, Felipe. When Andreas, Alfonso, and I made the Rachmaninov recordings, there was a place in Alfonso's part where he came in on a chord just slightly ahead of the beat, so I adjusted my playing and also came in on that spot the same way and it ended up sounding perfect. For sure, you may have to do the same thing.

But now I am having a little problem: There is no introduction in the piece and Andreas starts up right away, but I can't know exactly when to also start, (we all start exactly the same time) so how do I do this? Andreas - is there any way to add some kind of counting in the beginning of your audio track - counting off a couple measures like this: one-two, one-two, or even one-two-three-four would work for me. Something like this? Or do you have a better idea?

18. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    yes!
    I was thinking about it also. I was thinking of recording this track on a CD. then I would put another track before this one, counting one-two-three-four.

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Felipe, I'm afraid Andreas won't see this until tomorrow when it is too late - I need to record tomorrow. Can you explain to me what you said about CD - and is it possible for me to do it this way?

20. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    PIanolady wrote:
    Cooee, here I am! :lol: Below I have made you a version with a pre-counting of 8 beats from my metronome, I have simply recorded the beats with my Zoom H4 and I have cut them into the file with Wave Lab, but it was a pleasure to do this for you, of course.

When you will have recorded your file, Monica, please first post a rapidshare-link here, so I will download it and make an audio-montage of us both. This montage (to which I will also put a pre-counting of 8 beats) I will post here and then Felipe can record his part. Felipe, please, don´t record your part unless you have the audio-montage of me and Monica.

Felipesarro wrote:
    This is necessary in every case, Felipe. I for my part have played quite straight in the beat of 120 per quarter, I hope, Monica will do the same, so we will not have too much problems with the synchronization.