Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

I'm in the mood....

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Sep 23, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Eek, I've got all those 16th notes! Ok, let's take it down a few notches - like to 80 bpm. (kidding)
    I'll try it out on my piano later. (but I'm heading off to a kickboxing class right now - not sure I'll be alive later :lol: )

btw - R.I.P. to your printer.

2. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Monica, Hi Felipe,
    well, I will start to practise on my part here and there, if I will find time between my work. (Actually I´m also working on prelude and fugue c-major of WTCII, but I can put this back for a while.) May be I will be able to start my first recording around the week beginning on 26th of octobre. If it will possible earlier I will write a message here. I have to see, in which time I come through my corrections of papers and how much time I will find between for to practise and to record.
    I also think, it will be good, if I start with the first recording, than should follow Monica, because I have the ground and she has the melody, than should follow Felipe with the middle-part, which should be well adapted to the ground and the melody (that´s just a suggestion, of course).
    We all should video-record us while playing (and of course, the sound-track has to be the same as in the video-sequence). I will see meanwhile how it worked with the collage in my video-editing-program.

I´m looking forward to it and I´ll start to practise on my part. I will try it with quarter=140 like you have suggested, Felipe.

3. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I think this is the appropriate order: bottom, top, middle.

but wasn't me who suggested this tempo. hehe
    I was only worried about it...

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, now I am worried about it too. I just tried out my part at 140 bpm and I think it is way too fast! Do you think we can instead do it at 120? I could maybe do 130 if I practice hard, which I would do of course if you want to go that fast. (but I really like 120...*crossing my fingers*)

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    that's why I was worried.
    when I saw your part, those repeated notes... I found it difficult to play as fast as the orchestra. and even if it was okay to play that fast, it would become more difficult to synchronize and play very accurately.

throwing to Andreas! :lol:

PS: I just checked, and I found 120 bpm really good. This is the tempo I would choose if this was a solo piano transcription and I would play it alone. though we have two votes against one, we still must wait for Andreas' opinion. hehe

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    O.k., friends, here I am. Hehe! :lol:

Yes, why not, we also can take quarter=120 (writing this without having it tried out :oops: ), but if I do look at the music, it seems to be o.k. for me (can say this from my experience 8) ).

Tomorrow I will try it out at the piano (today it´s still too late) and then I will write definitely, if it works for me in this tempo.

I´m glad you agree to the order, Felipe.
    And I´m really curious to synchronize the music and the videos. This will become a very interesting new experiment and experience, I think. :D

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi friends,
    today I have practised my part. It´s not so difficult for me. I think, I can do a recording this weekend somwhere in the evening. I will have my headphones on my head, because I need the metronome-beat. I have an electronic metronome now, to which I can put my headphones. So, I will video-record me playing at the piano with headphones. That will look funny, I think. :lol:
    quarter=120 is good for me, but MOnica, I had a look at your part. If it´s too fast for you, we also can record with quarter=110 or so. Please, tell me until tomorrow, which metronome-beat you want.
    I think, it´s the best to play it straightly in tempo, without rubati, so it will be easier for us to play together, isn´t it?

I´m looking forward to our new project.

8. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I think if we do not take it too fast, we don't need to slow down in the midle part.

I haven't checked... but do you really think it's possible to play it completely without rubato?

PS: today is my birthday!
    PS2: I'm too old now :roll:
    PS3: I'm traveling to the beach. Holiday here. Back only on tuesday.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Headphones - you mean there is not a program that allows you to delete headphones off a person’s head in a video? haha

Seriously – All three of us will have earphones on while we record, right? Andreas, I’ll be listening to you play from my Ipod as I do my recording, and then Felipe will listen to our two parts as he makes his recording.

One thing – are we recording our parts all the way through without any cuts? I need to know this because if we are, then I need to cut my music up and paste it together on a board or something like that, so I will have less pages. But I would think it would be easier if we did have cuts, like maybe three or four of them – would that make it easier for you (Andreas) to make a video montage? I may be wrong, so please tell me which you would prefer and how you want to do this. (However, I am a little concerned over playing my part all the way through without any mistakes.)

As far as tempo goes – I think I can manage the 120. 110 is slightly easier, but then the middle parts seems to drag, even if we stay steady at 110. So let’s do the 120. Except I think I’m getting sick – all day I’ve been feeling worse and worse and now I have a little fever. Sure hope it is a short-lived illness so I can get to my practicing!

Another thing - we need a name for ourselves!

And for you, Felipe

[​IMG]

You’re not too old, because I am older than you! (care to tell us how old you really are?)
    Have fun at the beach – watch out for sharks (and giant catfish – hehe).

10. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Hm, I suppose no, but I´m sure it would be possible to delete the whole head. :lol:

Right, Monica, so it is.

You may do as many cuts as you like, all what I need finally is a continous audio-track, in which no cut can be heard. And, please, don´t forget to change the camera angle, if you do a cut. Finally I do need a video of you playing your track and a video of Felipe playing his track. Then I will first do the audio-montage and when I will have the continous audio-track of the complete piece with all three tracks, I will do a video-collage/montage. That means I will change the videos of us three simultaneously (=collage), as you could see in my collage of Swissalpes and score of Bachs g-minor fugue, and successively (=montage), as you could see in Patriks new video.
    At least, that´s my plan, hope, it will work. :)

I personally will try to make only one cut in the recording of my part. I will do it after three or four pages, which I can put side by side on my music-stand. After having recorded the first three pages I will make a cut, change the camera angle, then I will record the last four pages (there are seven pages in summary). At least that´s my plan, hope, I will be able to play three respective four pages through without any mistake. I will do as many takes as I will need to reach my aim. This evening I will do the first attempt.

O.k., so we will take quarter=120. Have my best wishes for getting better soon.

Well, Amerital Germans would fit also for us, because Felipe lives also in Italy, isn´t it?, but I fear Alfonso could become mad on us, if we do use the same name for us three. So, what about Amerbraz Germs or simply Alianellsarro Pfauls (Fouls) or Monfel Ands

And for you, Felipe, also
    [​IMG]

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    O.k., I´m here again. [​IMG]

I have recorded right now the complete Terza-part of Bizets Carmen-Ouvertüre.
    I have recorded it in the size of 44100 Hz and 16 bit, which is usual CD-size. Please, do record your files, Monica and Felipe, in exact the same size. Otherwise I will have difficulties to edit the audio-collage.
    I have also made a video in avi-size, in the following size: Divx 4600 kbps, audio 324 kbps, variable bitrate VBR. Please, choose also exact the same size for your videos.
    You should use a video converter like "Magic Video Converter". (If you don´t have one, please contact me by e-mail for further information.)

I have made only one cut between page 6 and 8, that means between the first three and the last four pages (I have put aside the pages 3, 5, 7 etc., which contain the Primo-part, because I didn´t need them for my playing).
    I have played straightly in quarter=120. (I have the headphones on, because I do hear the click of my electronic metronome. So, it´s much easier for me to play constantly quarter=120.) I haven´t done any rubato (sorry, Felipe, but I think, it´s much easier to edit for me like this), but I have done all dynamics prescribed and I think, it´s note-perfect. 8)

I haven´t yet put any effects like reverberation or equalizer to my recording. Please, don´t put any effects to your recordings, too. I will do all editings, also those like pegel-normalization and such things. Just record you naturally without puting anything to it.

Here are the download-links, which I have send you also in separate e-mails:

http://rapidshare.com/files/291265182/B ... .10.09.wav (wav-file, audio, terza-part complete, recorded 10.10.09 by Andreas)

http://rapidshare.com/files/291282498/B ... t.avi.html (video, terza-part complete, recorded 10.10.09 by Andreas)

Below is the mp3-file (also 324 bit, VBR) for a quick download and listening, if you like.

Now it´s your turn, Monica!
    [​IMG]

12. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, Andreas - you're so funny! Ok, here's one for you:

[​IMG]

I’ve got both files. I may not be able to record my part until the middle of the week when I’m feeling stronger. Plus, I can only record when no one is home for a long period of time, so that means either Wednesday or Thursday. I can’t believe how fast you are able to do all this, Andreas. It takes me a while to set everything up and I know it will take me a whole day just to do the editing. I’ll try to work as fast as I can, though. I do understand the part about the 44100 hz and 16 bit. But the divx is something new to me. I don’t know how to shoot videos with my video camera in any other way than what I have been doing. I am hoping that I can set all those parameters you mentioned with one of those video converters, is that right? I currently do not have a program on my computer, but it looks like I can download one off the internet. Is that what you did?

Btw - Your playing on your part sounds really great! I’m a little worried about my part…

[​IMG]

This is very exciting so far! I sure hope it works!!!!

13. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    [​IMG], Monica, we have all the time of the world.

I also thought, that I would have to practise a longer period, but then I saw, how easy my part is and that I can play it more or less at sight. I have many routine now concerning the editing. But for comparison: I needed half an hour for to record the complete part (the first three pages took me only one take, for the last four pages it took me four takes until all was perfect), but it took me four further hours to do the editing of the audio and video all in all. I fumbled around an hour to get the one cut inaudible and right in time and tempo (so that you can´t hear a flip in the tempo and so such things). I think, the work of a sound engineer needs so much patience and sensitivity, it very often takes me countless attempts until I´m really satisfied with my cuts and other editings.
    The video-editing was quite easy this time (exceptionally). I just fumbled a bit to get the entry of the new camera angle exactly with the beginning of the bar in the picture.

Just take the time you need, don´t rush it!

I will send you a private mail concerning this.

Thank you. You will play your part as excellently as always, I´m very sure.

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Andreas, I just thought of something. Does it matter if the camera angle for me will be on the other side of the piano? I'm not sure I can move my piano by myself - lifting the lid is even hard- but if I have to do it, I will ask my husband or my sons to help me move the piano the night before I record. (that is if it will even move - it has not been moved in years and the wheels have probably sunk into the carpeting very deeply)

15. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Pianolady wrote:
    Well, I do change sometimes the side of the camera angle, but it´s not absolutely necessary, if the effort to move the piano is too big.
    I can quite easily change the side, because I don´t have to move my piano to shoot me from the left side. I just have to move my camera. But there isn´t too much space between the piano and the wall on the left side, so it´s quite narrow. That´s why I mostly do shoot (=film) me from the right side or from above. To shoot me from above I do use a little stool, on which I put my tripod. Apart from that you have many other possibilities to change the camera angle just from one side: you can shoot your hands from different angles and different distances, you also can shoot the mechanique while playing or just your face or your feet (as you have seen in my video of Beethovens Eroica with Patrik). But I have to admit just with the picture of your face or feet it´s not easy to synchronize with the music, even just the mechanique very often is not so easy to synchronize with the music.

Of course, it does bring a nice change to shoot yourself from the other side, but I wouldn´t destroy my carpet for that reason. :wink:

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I am so relieved to hear you say this. Ok, I'll just stick to what I normally do. Still not sure what to wear yet or how to do my hair. :lol:

17. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I just got back home, and you two wrote a romance, so I don't know when I'll have time to read everything and answer.
    hehehe

yes, I'm too old. I'm 2.5 right now...
    I know you're older than me, Monica... but the way things are going I think one day I'll reach you! :lol:

thanks for you're nice emoticons of birthday parties. hehehe

18. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    same for me. can't we send you the video so you convert them, Andreas?

I have a problem...
    have you seen my videos yet, Andreas?
    there is too much light in my living room, and everything becomes obscure when I record something. there are people who do not believe the person who's playing is me. (generally because I make too much jokes, so they never know if this is another one, hehe).
    this is something I can find a workaround, but I don't do miracles. my video will not be as good as yours.

I was planning to record with no cuts, because... my recordings generally have lots of them, and now my conscience is becoming heavy, so I'd like to record with less cuts as possible. but....... if changing the camera angle would bring a very nice looking for the collage/montage, I'd do it (it's easier to record with cuts. hehe)

PS: what? I live in Italy??

19. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow - you are very tall for being only two-and-a half years old! :lol:

Uh oh - are you planning on killing me? :shock: :wink:

ok - back to business - Felipe, regarding your video recording - if you are going to shoot from your left side (like I am) then maybe you can pull the curtains in your room and turn on a lot of lights. I just looked at one of your videos and I think the reason that it is a bit unclear is that there is too much back-light (light from the window).

As far as cuts - sorry to you both - but I am going to make three cuts. Those repeating notes are killing me and the only way I can them out half-way decently is to take breaks.

Andreas - Felipe is Brazilian, so try another name. :) I can't think right now because of all this planning of my sons futures (my brain is going to explode if I have to do any more thinking). But I may have a handle on things by the end of the week, so maybe I can contribute an idea or two...

20. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    :)

I took the liberty to see your video, Andreas, and it sounds very good!!! I love this song.

Hey, as a suggestion: I did not do this video myself but maybe you guys can sync it in too, together with the three piano parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATBl4qH9I54

After all, good music is also good for you!

And Felipe, as you know on the 12th here in Brazil we celebrate children's day, so, being one of the youngest here right now does that mean you got two gifts from everyone this weekend?

:)

Marcelo