DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 825

Ideas?

Discussion in 'Composing' started by chopinman0901, Sep 19, 2006.

1. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Hi, I'm not really sure what to compose, I have so many melodies in my head. I've already composed 3 waltzes (E, F# minor, Db) and one prelude (F minor) when I was like 9, but idk what to do now. I have a hard time putting the ideas into notes that I play.

Waltzes being my favorite type of piece and E major being my favorite key, I think I might sort of "redo" my old one because I have the most ideas there. But any ideas on what pieces would be easy to start out composing (piano only) would be appreciated. I know this sounds kind of vague and amaturish, but I don't really know how to phrase it.

Also if anyone happens to compose on a Yamaha Clavinova, is there a way to have the score show as 2 hands instead of everything in one? And if you can't on the Clavinova, once you put it into the computer, can you do it then? Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Notating your performance

Hello Chopinman,

I took your question to the local Yamaha dealership, and as usual did not get a definitive answer as to how to get the Clavinova's screen to render the score in both staves. Just received the stock answer: "Yes, it probably can be done, but you'd have to find out in the manual how that's done."

All is not lost, however:
    If you were to save your file to disk, presumably as a standard midi file, you could then load it into the floppy drive (maybe requiring a floppy-to-USB drive) of your computer. Then, assuming you have notation software such as Finale or Sibelius, you could import the file into musical notation.

That would be only the beginning, because even if the software allows you to assign a key-break wherein notes above a certain pitch are assigned to the upper staff, and lower notes get assigned to the bass staff, the result would probably not be "playable". You would have to save the file, and, perhaps by hand, enter a second version of the work in a manner that suits a pianist's fingers.

Thought this might be of help.

Cheers,

Joe

3. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Wow, thank you for going through all of that trouble. I really appreciate it. I looked in the manual, and not much was said about that, but I think I'll try to figure it out. I just want to be able to play my compositions after I compose them.

While I don't have Finale or Sibelius, I do have an outdated program called Printmusic (made by the same company) which will suffice for now, I hope. The manager at the Yamaha store told me a program called something along the lines of "Noteworthy Composer" which you could download for a free 30 trial period, which has now expired for me. So, I will probably continue to use Printmusic until Hannukah or whenever I have the option of getting it.

Thanks again!

4. r590

r590 New Member

Can we listen to your compositions?

5. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Yeah definitely!! Unfortunately I'm a slow composer and between school and 6 hours of homework and projects a night (and I'm only in eighth grade!!!) I don't have much time to do it. But when I finish a composition, I promise you I will put it up on the forums.

Thanks for your interest in my composing!

6. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Wait until College. Then you can say "I dont feel like doing this" and no one is there to yell at you! :D

A key to hurrying up your schedule is: creative multitasking. Do your homework while you walk, or while you are doing your morning routine. Also, do your homework for, example, math while you are in, example, english class.

If you do this then we will be hearing your compositions by next week! YES!

7. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Haha, I wish it were that easy, but thanks for the tips anyway.

8. r590

r590 New Member

Highly recommended. This gets easier to do at the end of high school :)

9. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

Okay I've started on a compostition for real. I'm actually writing it though. It is only two lines so far and is a slow, Chopin/Rachmaninoff style waltz. Once I can actually take the time to record what I have so far I'll try to put it up.

10. thphaca

thphaca New Member

WLM:
    thphaca@hotmail.com
    Haha yeah I do that all the time. Luckily my most homework-demanding class is 6th period so I have pretty much all day to finish assignments. The only downfall is I have math first period so I'm usually screwed if I don't finish that.

That's great to see another young composer such as I, interested in classical though.