Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

How good can an amateur adult pianist like me actually get?

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by johnbrony, Dec 16, 2019.

1. johnbrony

johnbrony New Member

Last Name:
    brony
    First Name:
    john
    I have limited time to dedicate to piano and I am wondering how good can I actually, realistically get, and how much do I have to dedicate to get there.

I started piano at age 20, I am now 24 and love playing piano and I wish I started earlier. I also graduated school and started my career so I have limited time to practice but I play a good bit, normally about 2 hrs per day and I have improved a lot, I consider myself an intermediate player (I consider a Henle 4 on the easier side, a 6 pretty difficult and a 5 somewhere in the middle).

I have become a little disappointed recently because I have realized how insanely deep piano is and I now see the incredible level of skill that great pianists have and I have realized I will never even come close to that. For example I look at great pianist of my generation and I see people that have been playing since age 3 and have had years and years of training at conservatories and have been taught by professional (and very expensive) teachers and play for 12 hrs a day every day for years and years. On, the other hand, I have 1, 1 hr lesson per week (my teacher is great though!) and I have to work and hang out with friends and do other things so I am so limited in my time.