Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

How does a Minuet by D Scarlatti differ from Bach Minuets?

Discussion in 'Repertoire' started by Bubbles, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles New Member

How does a Minuet by D Scarlatti differ from the Minuets in JS Bach Keyboard works?

In terms of Dynamics, texture, style, articulation and other personal characteristics that is typical of Bach and typical of Scarlatti.

How does a Minuet distinguish itself as a minuet and How does a minuet by Bach and Scarlatti differ.

In my opinion, Minuets by Bach are usually grand and Majestic, fit for a dance ball in the baroque era and those by Scarlatti usually sound typical of Scarlatti, usually presto, sometimes a bit 'Spanish'. HOwever, is there a basis to my opinion here ?

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I think you answered your own question.

Scarlatti does have a Spanish vibe to a large portion of his compositions (though not as strong as Albeniz of course :wink: )

Bach, I believe, references himself and lots of his compositions, like a series of books, have passages that come off as nearly identical but yet completely distinct from one another!

That's what makes Bach, Bach. the ability to compose music that, to the common ear, sounds all the same. But yet when looked at closely, like fine literature, the delicate details come through as proof of his unrivaled mastery.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm afraid I have to jump the gun at this (as was probably expected of me :lol: )

It must be a very common ear indeed that percieves Bach's music as sounding all the same. For all the similarities that can be found between individual pieces, no composer has achieved more variety than Bach.