DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Help with Bach's Little Prelude in F Major BWV927 please?

Discussion in 'Technique' started by bclever, Jan 31, 2009.

1. bclever

bclever New Member

Hello all, I need a little help with the fingering in the 4th measure of this prelude.
    How do all you masters of the piano finger the second half of this measure? Are you
    using thumb under to get to the 4th group of sixteenth notes or relocating your whole hand?
    Thanks!

Brian

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I am not one of the 'master' pianists here, but I used to play this piece a lot when I was a teenager and I think it is a combination of thumb-under and moving the hand down. I always played this as fast as I could so when you quickly turn your thumb under, the rest of the hand just follows. Hope that makes sense. Probably not, sorry...

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The big distance of a fifth makes it quite impossible to do a thumb-under without relocating the hand. Not easy to do this in a smooth way ! There is another solution which can sound very smooth but it is a bit awkward for a smaller hand and will require some practice before being secure :
    1-2-4-1
    2-4-5-1

4. bclever

bclever New Member

Thanks for your replies Monica and Chris. I was using thumb under for several weeks
    on this part but kept landing on D after the turn about 30% of the time. Chris I think
    I'm going to work on that fingering you provided. It does seem much smoother!

Thanks!

Brian

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I haven't actually used it myself. But it feels like it could work with a bit of practice.