DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

help, please

Discussion in 'Technique' started by pianolady, May 2, 2008.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Does anyone know what the tempo marking, 'Llarchs' means?
    I just started a new Granados piece today but cannot find this word in any of my music dictionaries.

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I think "llarchs" means "longs"...good luck trying to figure out how to play "longs".

3. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

I'm pretty sure it means "longs" as well, although I'm not sure if it means to play longingly or to take a very long time to play the piece. After researching it, I found that there's also another part of this piece (it's called Sardana, right?) that translates to English as "shorts." I don't know if that helps.

4. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    I would guess something like "largo" for that, but I would probably be wrong....I'll ask one of my bajillion Latino classmates...

5. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Douglas Riva would know. He is an editor of "Piano Today" and is somewhat of a Granados expert. Try to contact him, maybe?

6. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indeed, it does mean "longs."

I'd think that the longs are meant to be played legato, the shorts staccato, no?

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks so much, everybody. I’m blowing you all kisses. (except for you, Terez – not that I don’t like you, but you know… :wink: )

Longs…hmmm….that stumped me for a bit. But now….yes, Chopinman, you’re right – the piece is called “Sardana”, and stupid me just did what you probably did, looked it up on Google. ( I know – duh. I always forget about Google and instead look in my dictionaries.) In case anyone else is wondering, I found this information, which describes it perfectly.

Sardana, published in 1914, is Granados’ only piano work directly inspired by popular Catalan culture. It is dedicated to the American pianist, conductor and composer, Ernest Schelling. The sardana is a two-part group dance, typical of Granados’ native Catalonia, in which the dancers form rings. The steps, curts (shorts) and llarchs (longs), shape the music. Granados’ Sardana belongs to the genre of concert sardanas, not intended for dancing

So it’s not a tempo marking at all!

Pete, I know who Douglas Riva is and have listened to a lot of his Granados recordings. I used to get that magazine too but didn’t know he was one of the editors.