Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

haydn Eb + miscellaneous

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by tpascale, Jan 9, 2009.

1. tpascale

tpascale Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Here's a new recording of Haydn's well known Eb Sonata XVI:52, and also two older recordings which I somehow never posted before - Debussy's La Plus Que Lente and a little scherzo by Schubert. The sound quality on the Haydn came out a little tinny despite my efforts at adding EQ and Reverb - but I think it's passable. The piano is a Steinway B and I used a pair of AT4040 mic's. The others were recorded digitally on a Yamaha GT2 (Grantouch).

Tom P.

Haydn - Sonata in E-flat major, Hob XVI:52, I. Allegro
    Haydn - Sonata in E-flat major, Hob XVI:52, II. Adagio
    Haydn - Sonata in E-flat major, Hob XVI:52, III. Finale - Presto

Debussy - La Plus Que Lente

Schubert - Scherzo No.1 in B-flat major, D.593

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Back from a long vacation? If I recall, you haven't been around for a while. And what a return recital! I enjoyed your Haydn with delight. I cannot comment on technical aspects, let's just wait for Techneut, Rachfan, and others. :D

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I enjoyed all of these. Very nice playing! They are up on the site.

Also, the sound of the piano on the Haydn sounds a little like a forte-piano, or is it a piano-forte (can't remember which one).

4. Jan

Jan Member Piano Society Artist

teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Bertram
    First Name:
    Jan
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpJwDjUguCQGsAAJQSBhTw
    Hi!

As there were already comments on the sound, I was suspicious what that could be (the forte-piano...). I just listened to the first movement of the Haydn-Sonata (very well played!) and I think you just forgot to pan the microphone-signals to the left and the right side... this is actually a mono-recording... Due to that, there are problems with lower frequencies, as they may extinguish when recorded via two microphones and then mixed together.
    Maybe you still have got the original recorded files (I don't know what your recording device was) and can downmix them again, each mic-signal panned to one side, this should help.

Greetings

Jan

5. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Haydn, etc

I've only listened to the Haydn so far, and it was terrific as usual for you. Your playing is very artistic and technically perfect. I'm looking forward to listening to the Debussy and Schubert.

6. wiser_guy

wiser_guy Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

System Software Engineer
    Last Name:
    Assimakopoulos
    First Name:
    Pantelis
    Excellent playing on the Schubert Scherzo. And exceptional playing on the Debussy. This is an incredible piece of music and your playing reveals all its beauty.

7. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Yes, excellent playing indeed. The Haydn Finale deserves a double applause, you manage to phrase even the faster passages! In the first movement you play G natural instead of G flat at bars 14 and 15, 3rd beat. I love also the sound of your Steinway, Gould would be proud of it! :lol:
    And I would add, it's perfect for this kind of repertoire.

8. tpascale

tpascale Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Thanks to all for the encouraging words, to Pianolady for posting the items so quickly, and to Alf for correcting the error at mm 14-15 - the Gb sounds much better. (I'm sure Chris would have also noticed this too - nothing slips by him.)

As for the sound - I guess it's ok that the recording has a pianoforte quality to it for Haydn - but this just wouldn't do for the Debussy. Jan - I appreciate your comment - but I can't say I understand everything you said (I don't know what a downmix or pan means). All I did was to apply a preset Graphic EQ function in Adobe audition labelled "lo-fi" to the original *.wav file. Now that sounds like exactly the wrong thing to use - but it reduced the tinniness while other presets with attractive names like "Keyboards - bright and clear" seemed to make the problem worse. (I also applied a preset reverb function called "Room Ambience2" - I can't imagine that would be an issue.) The problem, of course, may be with the equipment and not very correctable through software - but if you or anyone out there reads this and has some sound processing advice (no pun intended) I'm all ears. I'm also attaching the original version (in mp3 format) in case that helps the diagnosis.

9. Jan

Jan Member Piano Society Artist

teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Bertram
    First Name:
    Jan
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMpJwDjUguCQGsAAJQSBhTw
    Sorry, maybe my post was a little too technical...

Listening to the last post, I find my first assumption approved.

Most recordings today are made as stereo-recordings, which means there are different things to hear on the left and an the right speaker during playback. (Or different things for your left and right ear when you're using headphones). Due to that, we can "place" the things we hear somewhere between the two speakers: (this is a little simplified) One instrument can be heard on the very left side when its signal is only on the left speaker, or on the very right side if it's only on the right side. We hear it between the two speakers (in the center), when both speakers carry the same signal.

When you place two microphones in front of a grand piano (open lid), you may hear the higher tones more on one side and the lower tones more on the other side, under the condition that the signals recorded by the microphone on the left side are audible on the left speaker, and the signals recorded by the right-hand microphone are audible on the right speaker.

In the case of your recording, the signals from the left microphone are audible on both speakers, as well as the signals from the right microphone. Therefore, you 1) hear the piano on a small spot in the center (between the speakers, or, using headphones, in the middle of your head) and 2) there are problems with lower frequencies as the signals from both microphones partly extinct each other (resulting in the described 'tinny' sound).

To solve this problem, you would have to put the signals from one microphone to the very left side, and the signals of the other microphone to the very right side, that's what socalled panpots are used for. In case you used a mixing console during recording and forgot to pan the signals at that stage, there's no possibility to regain the original signals from each microphone, as they are already mixed together. (The same applies if you did, by mistake, a mono-recording). In case you have two mono files (one of each side), it should be not a big problem to pan them to the left and the right side, and this should sound much better than the posted recording.

Using any EQs or reverbs won't change anything substantial, panning will.

I hope I could of any help this time...

Greetings

Jan

10. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Ah, my terrible reputation...
    In fact, I did not hear anything out of order. But I don't know this piece, in fact I am not very much into Haydn. This sounds very well done though I thought there were some places in the opening part were you hurry a bit. The RH is sometimes rather drowned beneath the LH, and the fortepiano-ish sound is something you gotta like - I myself don't, but I acknowledge that it does suit the music.

The Debussy sounds a lot better, quite perfect really. As does the Schubert.

11. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi tpascale,

I just listened to La plus que lente and enjoyed it greatly. The playing is very accurate, you maintain the spirit of the sensuous waltz throughout, keep the rubato within reasonable bounds, and bring out some beautiful nuances in your performance. In the coda I tend to play it even more slowly than you as this ultra-romantic music winds down, since Debussy wrote there "more and more slowly until the end". It's as if the dancers are lingering and most reluctant to let go of the moment. An excellent rendition--bravo!

David

12. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    I have listened to all of these and very enjoyed them!
    Your playing is excellent, indeed, but I found the sound quality of Haydn a pity like other members. A part of reason why your playing of Haydn seems sometimes a bit hurrying (as Chris mentioned already) is in the not very rich nevertheless very directly penetrating sound, I think.
    The Debussy and Schubert were very tastefully and with charms interpreted. I know your other playing of Debussy on the site, and you are really a Debussy expert!