DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Gverb

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by John Robson, Apr 15, 2007.

1. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Audacity has Gverb listed as an effect. I've tried to figure it out to no avail. When I open Gverb, there are six or seven settings which I don't understand. I've experimented with various settings, but they all sound horrible. I have NO idea what I'm doing. Several people on PS have suggested I use "reverb" to improve the sound of my recordings. I believe Gverb is Audacity's answer to reverb. Does anyone know what the settings should be to sound good?

2. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Try this.

roomsize=30
    reverb time=3.5
    damping=1
    input bandwidth=1
    dry signal level=0
    early reflection level=-17.5
    tail level=-17.5

After you've adjusted the parameters to those levels, experiment by moving one slider at a time to each extreme and everything in between. That way, you'll get a sense of which slider does what.

Good luck!

Pete

3. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Thanks, PJG, for taking the time to tell me this. I'll definitely try it and see what happens. I don't know how the hell anyone is supposed to know this stuff. I need to go back to school.

4. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    I use GVerb and similar settings as juufa but make the room a bit larger as below:
    roomsize=150
    reverb time=3.0
    damping=1
    input bandwidth=1
    dry signal level=0
    early reflection level=-13.0
    tail level=-17.5

Works pretty well for me. The person who set the default values in GVerb seems to not know what he/she was doing.

5. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    roomsize=56
    reverb time=5
    damping=0.9
    input bandwidth=0.75
    dry signal level=0
    early reflection level=-14.0
    tail level=-20.0

I didn't experiment with this much. I simply found reasonable default settings somewhere and highered/lowered them to get a little bit more reverb.

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Or - you could use the 'bathroom' setting reverb I use on Wavepad. It made me laugh when I saw that because I used to practice my flute in the bathroom when I was little. All the hard surfaces made great reverb and I would pretend I was famous and playing in some grand concert hall.
    (did I already tell you this? :? )

7. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Reverb

Monica, I'm surprised I need reverb if hard surfaces would suffice. I have tile floors, window shutters (no draperies), no carpet----the room is "alive" but there are no echoes like in a bathroom.

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hmmm. Where do you place your recorder? Is it on a cushion? Have you tried adding the reverb yet? (or gverb). I tried downloading Audacity when my free trial version of Wavepad expired. I downloaded the Audacity program all right, but couldn't get that g-verb program to come up. It was very confusing, so I just paid to get the regular version of Wavepad turned back on. It's easy to use.

9. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried all of the settings people suggested, but none of them sound good. I haven't tried moving the sliders. I have no idea what they do. The number of possible combinations of factors seems almost infinite, especially for someone who doesn't know where to start.

Monica, the bathroom setting on Wavepad sounds like my style. I'm going to try to find out about that on-line. Thanks for the idea.

10. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Wavepad

Monica, I got Wavepad and chose the "bathroom" setting for reverb, but I don't think the results are like yours. Any ideas?

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, that doesn't sound anything like my recordings. This one has a 'tinny' sound. But if you notice, the march section isn't as harsh sounding now. We just have to get the other stuff figured out. Is this the same file as the one on the audition thread? I forgot, what kind of recorder do you use? Maybe you are setting your recorder on too high a number...grrr..., I forgot the name of those numbers, bps, mpg, something like that. Or are you recording it as a wave file?

Just saw your pm.

12. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Reverb

Monica, and anyone else who wants to respond, I have been experimenting using WavPad and perhaps have improved my "situation" with regards to reverb. To avoid the terrible clicks when using WavPad, I have turned my recording input down to almost 0. Now I don't know if the recordings will be too soft or not. I used the "bathroom" setting (LOL). Please listen to part of this Novelette which I'm still working on and tell me if the reverb works for you. I'd also appreciated any suggestions about interpreting this very strange piece. The truth is since I don't have a teacher, I'd love to have some suggestions from you before I finish learning the piece and post it in the Audition Room. I'm often frustrating after posting in the Audition Room and receiving excellent feedback because it makes me want to do the piece over and post it again. I wish we had a "practice" audition room or something...

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    John, there's quite a bit of background hissing noise. And your piano still sounds tinny, and I know from other recordings that your piano can sound good, so there's still something off on the settings.

14. John Robson

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    REverb

Thanks, Monica. I guess I'll just give up and go back to recording the way I was...no reverb. Part of the tinny sound could be because I forgot to raise the lid completely on the piano when I recorded this last piece. I'd pay someone a couple hundred dollars to come by my house and tell me what I can do, but I have no idea who that might be. I've tried all of the settings suggested for Audacity Gverb and none of them work for me. I've experimented a lot with the WavPad reverb, but had no luck. It's just very frustrating to have people complaining about the sound of my posts when I can't do anything about it. I'm going to give up for now.