DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Grovlez - L'Almanach aux Images

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Jun 18, 2011.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This is a re-recording of my version from 2007. I have always loved this endearing suite by Gabriel Grovlez, a compoaser about whom I could find little information and no image at all. It is clear that Grovlez was under the spell of Debussy, and I'm pretty sure he must have known that composer's Children's Corner, on which some of these items seem to be modeled. Nonetheless I do not find this derivative music. I hope I do my bit in making this unknown music more popular.

If anybody knows of more info about Grovlez, I'd love to know. A photo would be more than welcome.

Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 1: Les marionnettes (2:54)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 2: Berceuse de la poupée (3:14)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 3: Sarabande (3:20)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 4: Chanson du chasseur (1:52)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 5: Les ânes (2:32)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 6: Le pastour (1:57)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 7: Chanson de l'escarpolette (1:32)
    Grovlez - l'Almanach aux Images - 8: Petites litanies de Jésus (2:34)

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I'm not sure what I thought of your first version of this set. Did I like it? I can't remember. Anyway, I like no. 2 a lot. Probably my favorite of the set. No. 3 has some neat harmonies. No. 4 - let the hunt begin, for sure. No. 5 - some fast donkeys... No. 6 is nice - like the trickling notes. No. 7 - like that nice, waltzing beat. Also, I don't know what's happening, but I hear a swishy sound throughout every file here. It's in the background, but pretty prominent, like the piano sound is not that clear. There is that constant swish going on.... Sorry, I can't explain it well....

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

Until hearing these pieces, I was not familiar with Grovlez at all. I listened to all of them. They are all contrasting and colorful in each piece's own way and some tell some stories while others draw some impressions. I believe that you play them all very well, plus you have an affinity to this music which reflects in the performance.

I saw Monica's comments on the ambient noise. I have tinnitus in both ears (probably inevitable after playing piano for 58 years so far), so I cannot detect it at all. Maybe others can be more helpful with that.

David

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Monica and David. I sure hope my love for this unassuming music shines through.
    I think what you hear is the releasing of the pedal which is a bit noisy since the spring was taken out.
    I meant to have the tuner look into it when he was here this week but I forgot :x

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, I don't think it is a pedal noise. Remember how we used to listen to albums on vinyl - when the needle gets to the end of the album, you hear this swishing sound? That's sort of what I hear in your recordings. I hear it when you are playing and when you are not. Maybe was there a machine running - like a dishwasher or washing machine nearby? Or a clock? Well, don't worry about it...I'm using my good earphones right now, and I probably wouldn't hear so much background noise on my cheaper ones.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The pedal is what I could hear in some places. But there could be other background noise. It seems to be never completely silent here. Ah well. I don't think it is so bad as to spoil the listening.

7. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Chris, these are very fine works in their style (definite Debussy influence). You bring out their wonderful character very effectively. Oh there's a quick run here and there that could be played more evenly, but nothing that should require another effort at recording. I think your performing this music must be making JS turn in his grave! Anyway, I'm sure you've heard what they found when they exhumed Beethoven's grave: He was furiously erasing his many scores. "What are you doing master?" He answered, "Decomposing." <flam, crash cymbal>

Edit: Oh ya, one more thing: I don't appreciate what Monica's talking about, but I just listen over my Altec Lansing integrated laptop speakers. These are home recordings after all.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Was it that bad ? What's JS got to do with this anyway ?

Careful now Eddy. You may well get the rap for this :p

Thanks for the feedback :D

9. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    The good old German Lutheran (whose exponent you are) would think this music is of the devil :twisted: :!:

10. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    which reminds me (as I really go OT): Have any of you heard Garrison Keillor's The Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra? (fashioned after B. Britten's of course). What a wonderful listen!

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Well, of course they are home recordings! But are you saying that I'm imagining that sound? I can't help if I hear things that others don't. And anyway, it is absolutely possible to get a clean and clear sound in home recordings if you make sure every machine or furnace/air conditioner is off. Now, trying to control the birds and chipmunks is another story... :x :)

12. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Monica, have you considered tinnitus? :wink: I really meant that I don't hear it, (listening the way I do). <Softball pitched with a nice and slow lob> :?:

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's okay, Eddy, you've made me consider that maybe I shouldn't comment on EVERYTHING. I say what I hear in members' recordings in case they don't know there is some interference in the sound, and then they can fix things for future recordings. But maybe I am more annoying than helpful. Shut-up time for me!

And here is the softball tossed back to you....( except I don't really get this softball thing.... :oops: )

14. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Oh Monica, that was your opportunity to smack it out of the park with: "Well Eddy, maybe you should have your hearing checked. Perhaps you have hearing loss!" :)

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh. :)

Well, having sensitive hearing is not always a blessing. Some sounds drive me nuts. Good thing I don't have tinnitus. That would send me off the deep end!

But did you know that Grovlez once worked on Granados' opera? There, I've steered things back on topic.... :lol:

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That's a bit of info I have not seen anywhere on the web. I find links between composers always intriguing. Anything else you may know about him would be welcome (I've seen that The Wikipedia article on Grovlez links to the bio on our page, so that had better be complete).
    I just wish I could find an image anywhere.

17. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    To be frank, I've never heard of Grovlez before Chris' post. France and Spain: if it wasn't for the Pyrenees, they would be one country where everyone spoke Portuguese :shock: (back off topic) :mrgreen:

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I am interested in links between composers too. In this case, I'm afraid I can't remember how I knew that about Granados and Grovlez. Just now I looked around the Internet for some info and only found what is shown in the attachment. I have a couple Granados books on my bookshelf - maybe I saw that information there but it'll take some time to find it. Will let you know if I do. Also, it is true; there does not seem to be any photos of Grovlez anywhere. Strange....

(back ON topic :mrgreen: )

19. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    There are a slew of unknown composers who don't offer anything new, just regurgitate the music of their masters. There are also composers who are a musical mutt of several styles and inspirations. Sometimes, one finds a diamond in the rough, but those are rare. For me, Grovlez doesn't shine in terms of originality.

I think you and Monica are right about the composers afiliations - There are parts to the music that sounds like Debussy, as you say. But, there are parts that sound unmistakably Granados - a mini Goyescas... Perhaps he's trying to be Spanish Debussy?... You bring out more than what's already there. Nonetheless, very well played!

Here is a photo of Gabriel Grovlez.

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    A good effort, George, but that's not Grovlez. (I was also fooled by this photo when I was looking yesterday.) This man is actually Henri Padé, a French mathematician.