Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Grieg - Wedding-day Op. 65 no. 5

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by felipesarro, Feb 12, 2011.

1. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I think I'm gonna buy you some glasses. :lol:

the other versions differed only in wrong notes. hehe
    but I think this new version is more breathless (that happens when I record the same piece several times... the first time is a joy! the other ones are obligation. I kinda play like "let's finish it as soon as possible". :? )

I didn't know there were recordings by Grieg. I'll check them!

I did a little of ritarding in the second time... in fact I did it by accident. I was really tired, that why I couldn't play those chords a tempo. but it sounded good, and I agree with you: there should be a little more of it! I should even do it in the first time (the second time it should be broader, as you said. good idea).

thanks for listening and commenting!

2. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Hi Felipe, as usual you seem to enjoy your playing and the music itself and this let also the listeners enjoy your playing :)
    The possible improvements were already said by Chris and I'd like only to say that I enjoyed your playing this fun piece!

3. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    thanks, Hye Jin!

yes, in this last take it is hurried. about the dragging in the middle section, I find it a matter of taste (hence subjective).

thanks for listening!

4. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Felipe,

I've only played a few Grieg pieces, but not this one. From listening though, I believe you've played it very well. The playing of the main theme is stately and also light and airy when that touch is required, and you pay close attention to all the many fussy details there too, managing throughout to convey the excitement of the wedding day. Your playing of the middle part is very lyrical indeed--beautiful playing. You've given a fine account of this work!

A humorous note: There is an old movie-musical from the 1950s, "The King and I" which starred Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr with musical soundtrack by Rogers and Hammerstein. There is a part in the film when the numerous King's children are introduced one by one to their new governess. The music that accompanies that scene reminds me of this Grieg piece, and vice versa. Of course Grieg came first, so probably Rogers took his inspiration from the former.

Again, a very nice performance of the Grieg.

David

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    thanks, David!

about the other similar piece...
    that happens. I've already written at least two pieces which I discovered they were "copies" of others (sometimes, not copies, but they were too similar). of course... the difference with Rogers is that I quit writing or performing them after I discovered they are not original. hehe

6. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    A great improvement, principally in the middle section. I must say, after hearing the first version, I reached out from my Grieg, because I could not remember this piece being so long and finiding out that section occupies just a page. On listening again I did not get this feeling.

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
  8. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I've definitely heard this piece before, but have no idea where or when! In any case, this is good playing, with spirit in the outer sections and a nice feel to the lyrical middle. The sound on the Austbo recording is better (perhaps that's only to be expected); I'm not quite sure about the higher trebles on your piano (for example, from the start of the second page going by the score on youtube) but perhaps my ears are having a fussy day. :)

9. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    thanks!

you mean the higher pitches of mine are out of tune? or they're weak?

10. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I thought there were a couple of notes which are not quite right (it was a very marginal thing though). I'm beginning to doubt myself, however! I'm sure I heard it first time, but now I've listened to the relevant passage about 20 times now and I don't always catch it. I wouldn't worry about it.

11. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    Don't tell me! I once wrote a lovely piece and was very happy. That is, until I heard something on the radio that sounded familiar on the radio! :lol: The other day I picked another tune only to find my wife singing it and then I found it on one of my CDs.