DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Aug 3, 2010.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    This little-known set by Grieg dates from 1905. Not exactly trailblazing stuff for its time, but it contains much good music and I have always liked it. The honorable jury may discern a couple of tiny imperfections in the more vigorous parts - Grieg can be quite cruel when he gets in the mood, thus taxing my feeble technique. But nothing ugly or embarrassing I think. This set done, a complete Grieg comes a little nearer on the horizon again :)

Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 1: Resignation (1:42)
    Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 2: Scherzo-Impromptu (2:49)
    Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 3: Nachtlicher Ritt (A ride at night) (5:55)
    Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 4: Volkston (Popular air) (2:24)
    Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 5: Studie (Hommage a Chopin) (2:25)
    Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 6: Standchen der Studenten (Student's serenade) (2:34)
    Grieg - Op.73 - Stimmungen (Moods) - 7: Gebirgsweise (The mountaineer's song) (4:51)

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I did not know about this set and have never heard any of the pieces. Just now listened to the no.5 'homage to Chopin'. First off - Wow, that was played very well! Sounds hard! And it's pretty neat - can definitely hear Chopinesque-like etudes in there. I like when composers do this kind of thing.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks ! I would have expected this title to intrigue you.
    Actually I think it's no.5 I like least of this set, Grieg trying to emulate Chopin and not quite getting there - even though it's not a bad piece in its own right. It's not quite that hard if you can get the LH rhythm to be consistent, which I am not sure I am fully achieving. And I go a little overboard in the climax of the middle section.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Chris,
    I have listened to the set, which was new for me. Very interesting and nice pieces. I think, you play them very well (apart from some very little imperfections and I suppose, you know, where they are. But if you wish, I can give you the details). Thank you for sharing. I should record also some Grieg one nice day.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Andreas. Though I strive for perfection it seems I will not attain it. The main thing is that I think these can be enjoyed despite a handful of tiny flaws (no, you don't need to point them out :lol: )