DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Goodbye

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by techneut, Dec 16, 2015.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    A short note to whomever still may be visiting these forums.
    I have resigned as an administrator and contributor. It was fun while it lasted, and I am grateful for all the feedback I received that made me a better pianist. It is not an easy decision to leave, but now that participation has dropped to near zero, I no longer feel involved. Best of luck to all of you, and
    perhaps we'll meet again elsewhere.

2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I'm sorry to read this. We have very different outlooks on musical aesthetics, but I have enjoyed your acerbic asides over the years and you have certainly contributed significantly towards making this site the impressive resource it is. It is a shame that activity is so negligible these days.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Best wishes, Chris! I will miss you.

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Chris,
    As I wrote to you, you deserve a high recognition for your involvement during all these years ! Now, we have to decide what the post-Breemer PS will become, but it is yet clear that the first era of this site wouldn't have been the same without your constant care. Thanks and good luck for the future,

François

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks all for the replies. I too will have to find out what the post-PS era will look like. Had there been more than a handful of people left here things might have been different.

6. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Of course you'll be missed, Chris, and good luck in your continuing pianism.
    BTW: Thank you especially for the complete set of the Grieg Lyric pieces. I liked the set so much I bought a score and they have become some of my favorite at-home-for-pleasure pieces.

7. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hello Chris, I recently found out that you've resigned as moderator of PS. This is a huge loss as there is ony one Chris. I've been quiet on PS for a few years because I haven't been recording. I always assumed you, Monica, and the regulars would always be around here like distant relatives. I wasn't aware that particapation in PS has been declining. Human nature is such that one doesn't appreciate something until it's gone. I can only echo how others feel about you on PS, and the collective knowledge, experience, and advice that you give is superlative in every aspect.

Your advice has always been wholeheartedl and brutally honest - just like how a good teacher should administer advice. You never sugar coated any of my recordings, and for that I was able to improve my recordings early on. Your temperament, high standards, and skill as moderator made this site professional among us amateurs. As I am writing this, it feels like I am showing up to a funeral after a long absence... Hey, I already miss your wit, dry humor. You're an amazing pianist with tremendous repertoire and knowledge.

I am sure at least some of the former regulars would indeed chime in more often if they knew about these changes on PS like I did. Too many people have invested time, talent, resources, knowledge into this site. Sometimes a proverbial kick in the butt is all you need to remind us of that. You mentioned, "Had there been more than a handful of people left here things might have been different." If we can rally members to be more active on PS, will that make you return in some capacity?..... I think the title of the post can change from "Good-Bye" to "Until we meet again."

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge and comments for all the years. We've had some fun on this site too - You were the first one to introduce me to the Minions! Priceless! :) :) I hope you continue to keep on conquering new musical challenges in the future...

Best Wishes, my friend! ~ George

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Stu. I haven't heard my lyric pieces for many years now, but I don't think they're very good, a bit of a rush job actually. I've been considering redoing them but haven't as yet found the time and motivation for it.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for your thoughts and appreciation, George. If PS will survive and perhaps gain some momentum again (and I have to say I'm pessimistic about that) I might perhaps be around again as a normal member. Not as an admin, I don't have the time and drive for it anymore and PS will be better off without me scaring away potential contributors.
    This is quite symptomatic. People don't post because they have nothing to submit (which isn't as it should be) and they don't submit because the
    standards have become so high (which I'm not sure is as it should be) and they don't like someone being brutally honest with them (which I think is silly but there you go, many people don't like criticism).
    Apart from me resigning I don't know what a solution could be, and whether it is not already too late for that. I am following the "What is wrong" discussion with interest but don't feel an urge to get involved. We've been through these things too many times already.

10. richard66

richard66 Richard Willmer Piano Society Artist

Amateur musician
    Home Page:
    It is late in the day and I have said my say in the discussion you mention, so you might have read what I wrote there. I have been keeping away because I cannot meet the tecnological (let me call it this way) challenge. I do not own and neither have access to a grand piano nor the means to invest in the lates gadgets in order to produce good recordings. The standards have gone up, surely, but then, who wants to listen to a Mozart sonata on a honly-tonky recorded with a mobile? And who would want to listen to what-d'ye-call-'im play a Chopin prelude if you can get the same on YouTube from Horowitz?

PS has fallen between two stools: it is too demanding for the amateur and too amateur for the concert pianist.

As for brutality... You have said things about some of my submissions, but I am not sure they were brutal and there was always something positive too. Things have improved since I changed piano and practice methods, but not enough to measure up to other members.

11. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've resigned your position here. PS won't be quite the same. Hopefully you'll still visit from time to time. Your observation about the lack of participation is accurate -- and painful. Fewer artists are contributing recordings than was the case in previous years. I don't attribute it to your manner though. You did comment about items such as the out-of-tune piano, an awful electronic keyboard, poor sound, lack of attention to the mp3 tag details, etc., as anyone should. More important though were your astute critiques of poor pianism. Some people welcome feedback while others find it offensive. It's just a level of sensitivity. But over the years I believe that on the whole your thoughts on performance were helpful and that most accepted it for what it was. If it was positive, you commented on that too. It was all well intended.

Best of luck in your musical endeavors.

David

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh I don't know about that. But even if so, that is probably a good thing. Some change was long due. There seems to be much enthusiasm right now to improve things and people are all but queuing up to take over.

13. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I second David's praise. I have always appreciated your competence on piano literature and your dedication as an administrator.

14. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Chris, I am really sorry to hear this and will miss you very much. I am an intermittent visitor and contributor and have greatly benefited from your observations on the recordings. I hope you look back on PS with pride. All the best wishes and good luck!

Joachim