DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 860

Getting my Baldwin SF-10 voiced

Discussion in 'The Piano' started by musical-md, Feb 29, 2012.

1. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Here is what my guy presented to me as options. I went with number one due to cost considerations. He starts on March 12th. If I win a sweepstakes I'll do number 3 later. :)

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Good luck with the repair, Eddy!

(I didn't know that strings needed to be re-leveled.)

3. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hi Eddy, why, where, and what do you want to get out of the piano? How old are the strings? Any oxidation/rust on them? Strings have a lifespan of 25 years, so you might need to consider restringing down the road. How is the tone and timbre balance? I've never gone through a restoration on my Steinway B. When I first bought it, I had it regulated (which lasts about 7 years), and that's about it. There is nothing more expensive than doing something cheaply only to have to redo it again soon... My recommendation: Choice #3.
    Whatever you do, be careful of treating the hammer with chemical lacquers as the changes are irreversible if the result is undesirable. I would also approach Rachfan (David) as he is knowledgeable about restoring Baldwins.

Good luck,
    George

4. musical-md

musical-md Active Member

Physician
    Last Name:
    del Rio
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Hi George,
    So good to hear from you again. As all of my late submissions attest, the timbre of my piano verges on Baroque trumpet! I came to practicing and recording with the lid entirely closed. I am getting it voiced to a more flugelhorn sound, or perhaps that of a french horn which is also capable of being brassy when needed. :wink: My piano is not 25 years old. I purchased it from a Steinway artist (puzzling, right?) whose only recommendation to me was to have a new set of hammers installed, so yes, number 3 is perhaps the right thing to do. However, a talented technician can accomplish a lot! This fellow I have was for a time in charge of quality control at the Baldwin factory so he knows what he's doing. I'm just about ready to dive into the pool myself (self-regulation), get some tools and start learning by trial-and error, but have yet stayed my hand -- probably a very good thing.

5. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Hi Eddy, great to hear from you too! I feel your pain. For years, I practiced on a 5'3" Bradbury which had hardened hammers too at my parents house. I could never lift the lid on it too for fear that my mom's crystals might shatter. :p The dynamic range varied from mp to ff - very difficult to get pp or p sometimes. I could never play the Chopin Nocturnes on it well. I hope you make a choice that you won't regret later. Consistency and predictability is the name of the game here. That's why I think a new set of pristine hammers are very tempting...

So you want to learn regulation? I hope that you do. Ha, I've thought about taking course at the North Bennett School here in Boston. It's an excellent school that teaches how to make, restore, and service all kinds of instruments. I've always had a fascination with color, tone, and timbre. Well, I don't know were you are in your career, but I hope you can retire early to do all these fun things! That's my goal! :D
    I digress, I hope the restoration goes well. Chris restored his Gaveau not too long ago, and it gave birth to whole new piano.

Good Luck!
    George