DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

Garrick Olhsson on Chopin's piano

Discussion in 'Pianists' started by Horowitzian, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Student, amateur musician
  2. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    Cool, I've always wanted to hear a Pleyel. This is the piano that was recently discovered, right? The one he used in Scotland? It sounds much closer to a modern piano than I expected, though I can hear that the sustain is shorter.

I'm not fond of this guy's playing...but then, I made the mistake of listening to his 9/2 first instead of skipping to the program. I hate that nocturne. I don't really hate it because it's Chopin, but I hate that everyone plays it, and his rubato was just all over the place (I find that to be tasteless). Don't slow down 'for effect' in the fiddly bits or no one will take you seriously!

3. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

It may be that piano; I'm not aware of the particulars behind it. It has a very interesting sound. :)

As to Ohlsson's playing, I like it for the most part, but there are pianists I like better. :D

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, dang it! I missed the concert. :x

5. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

Just listen to it on the link I posted! It's a recording. :)

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Silly me, I can still listen to it on that site. Yay! I'm listening to it right now. Very cool - I'm picturing our beloved Chopin sitting there. And you're right - the piano has an interesting sound. It's a little tinny, but yet has nice booming bass register. That surprises me. I wonder though, since the piano is old, do you think that it was been restrung and maybe new hammers and all that? If so, it wouldn't have the same sound as it did in Chopin's day, right? I have a photo of that piano somewhere on my computer.

7. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

As I said, I do not know any particulars, but I would imagine that the piano has been rebuilt to some extent to ensure it is playable. They still make special low-tension wire for very old pianos like that.

8. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    I guess it's not the newly-discovered one, since Chopin owned that one for years before he brought it with him to Britain, and they say this is an 1848 Pleyel (which would have to be the one he bought after returning to Paris). I'd like to hear the one from England. From an article I read on it:

I read somewhere else a comparison of the two pianos, and most people seem to think the older one sounds better, but I can't find that article.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Interesting -I didn't know that. btrw, thanks for this info and link. I really enjoyed listening and you know after awhile I didn't really even mind that the piano sound was much different than new pianos.

one more thing - I asked you a question about that BBCode thing in the other thread - maybe you didn't see it. Doesn't matter though because I just now noticed as I'm typing this that BBCode is on.

10. Horowitzian

Horowitzian New Member

No problem! I loved it, so I figured the folks here would enjoy it. It's kind of interesting hearing the music on an instrument at least similar to what it was likely composed on.

Thanks, I'll go over there....