Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

G. Catoire, Quatre Morceaux, Op. 12, No. 2, "Meditation"

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I don't disagree with you, but all I did there was to lift the pedal off, once the top note of the roll had been added and fully sounded. The recorder is beside and behind me, a bit awkward, so it takes me about three seconds to turn around to shut it off. What I would do if I were ever to record it again would be to use no damper pedal on that roll. I'd simply play it cleanly, allowing the natural fall of the dampers to silence each note along the way right through the top note. I wonder if the last bit of open sound might have been eliminated during the mp3 conversion.

UPDATE: I just listened to the mp3 file and the wav file, which are the same. After the broken chord plays at 3:15, the counter displays another four seconds to 3:19 on both. Had I shut off the recorder instantly after the chord, I don't believe those extra four seconds could still be displaying on the track. The track would have stopped at 3:16. One of the selling points of the Korg MR-1000 is that it's totally noiseless. For example, when I start a recording, it's as if the music comes out of nowhere (as long as I'm being quiet). It's the very same for endings. When the music disappears, there's total silence again unless there is ambient noise within the room, which normally is quite unlikely.

David

2. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Very beautiful, David, as usual. I like very much the beginning that seems to surface from nowhere, but all the piece has an incredible charm to me. It's a pity that the high register of your piano is rather out of tune, especially the D6 at 1'40". In my mind the ending should fade away rather than popping off like it is now. It would be perfect if you managed to recreate in reverse the magical effect of the beginning. Technically, a whispered arpeggio in a true ppp without shortly holding (as you did in the recording) the very last G would do. Of course it's much easier to be said from my chair than done from your piano bench. :mrgreen:

3. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alfonso,

Thanks for listening and your nice compliment. I like that idea of yours of making the ending the reverse process of the opening. Makes a lot of sense. I'm glad you enjoyed this piece so much. The figuration makes it difficult to play in certain places. Right now, I'm working on No. 3, the "Nocturne" which is more linear and absent most of Catoire's signature polyrhythms. It's shaping up to be another lovely piece.

On the out-of-tuneness of the high treble, that has been controversial too. When I test the unisons, play octaves, thirds, fifths, etc. up there, it sounds perfectly normal. On another site, a pianist who makes his living as a tuner said it sounds great. I have a friend down in Texas with a Baldwin L, about 20 years older than mine, and he gets the same comments on tuning. But it's in the ear of the individual listener, and opinions are contradictory. His tuner says that as the upper octaves are stretched, it produces some inharmonicities in the overtones which might be perceived more on Baldwins. Tuners at another piano site have theories as to how to best cope with it. To be honest I can't even hear it anymore. Baldwins are very rich in overtones (in that one sense it reminds me of Kawai pianos). I can tell you that the piano is tuned every three months. During winter it's tuned sharp to offset the slide toward flatness suffered by all pianos in this harsh northern climate. So the sharpness might also present perceived inharmonicities for those regularly accustomed to A440. My Baldwin will return to A440, where I believe it sounds best, at the end of this month. Hopefully the members will be happier with that change.

Again, thanks for tuning in (no pun intended :lol: ).

David

4. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    You're welcome, David. I'll stay tuned to your submissions. :lol:

5. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Bravo, David, a wonderful performance and a quite dark romantic piece. I love these sighing-motifs like in bar 3, 4 and 8, 9. As usual you play congenial to this music, with a wonderful expression. I like especially how you work out the musical development of each line here in this melancholic arabesque. It´s a pure musical joy and pleasure to listen to you!
    And what a fantastic sound-quality. I have listened with my good loudspeakers and your recording is full of differentiated nuances. We all profit here from your very good recording-technique!

6. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Thanks so much for your kind praise! Yes, this is a wonderful piece. It took me awhile to acclimate to it though, as it's subject matter is quite different from the other pieces by Catoire that I've offered here previously. But once I was into it, it really grew on me.

I too like the recorded sound, as it nearly achieves the ideal I had hoped for.

I'm glad, my good friend, that you had a chance to listen to this "Meditation". I noticed you had been absent from PS for awhile, so knew right away that you've been quite busy with your work at the school. So nice to hear from you again!

David :)

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Yes, it´s just my work for school at this period. I have to correct many papers (also for School leaving examinations on Secondary School in my subjects: music and german philology and literature), the other big project is, that I prepare a new arrangement of a guitar class. I develop the whole concept (didactic and organization). Since I´m only teaching upper classes this year it´s much more work than last year, f.ex.
    But, of course, I will post on PS and listen to some of my friends (and others) here as often as I find some time. And in summer I will meet Chris again and we will play some four hand pieces. I´m still looking forward to it.

8. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Yes it sounds as though you've been extremely busy at the school with all your projects!

If you and Chris do more four-hands music, and go out on the sailfish again, hopefully you'll be able to make videos of the music making and get some sequences out on the lake again as well.

David

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Rachfan wrote:
    Yes, and there is also my little son and my wife, who want to have a bit of my time. :wink: But I like PS very much and my appreciated friends here and, of course, I will find some time between.

Of course, I think, we´ll make audio- and video-recordings of the four-hand-pieces and hopefully I will get also some hot windsurfing-spots! :)