Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

G. Catoire, Prelude, Op. 17, No. 3 in Cm

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Rachfan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Rachfan wrote:
    Thank you so much, David. :D I really would like to encourage you to play more CS´s of Bortkiewicz. This would be an immeasurable valuable enrichment for this site and I suppose, there do not exist too much complete-recordings (or recordings generally) of his work. And I can´t imagine a pianist here, who is appropriater for this task than you, because you seem to feel congenial to his music.

2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andreas,

Thanks for that encouragement!

David

3. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    David, congratulations for completing the set and for one more beautiful Catoire interpretation. I like very much the dark mood of this piece. I always enjoy seeing a real commitment like yours. Josef Hofmann wrote in his Piano Playing that pianists must strive to acquire the ability to form a tonal picture in their mind, rather than (or well before anyway) the note picture. And in your interpretations the tonal picture is always clearly conveyed to the listener.

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    How come you can read the score this way?? :shock:

I've seen concert pianists doing that...
    but printing so small... and putting them so far from my eyes (those outer pages, for example)... I could never read them.
    it would be just as a guideline for a piece I had "almost" memorized entirely.
    hehehe

5. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Felipe,

I hear what you're saying. In my own case, I can easily read three pages strung along the music desk, and I can manage four, although there is some craning of the neck to view the outter two pages. I'm far sighted and wear my computer glasses (2X magnification) when reading music at the piano, because the focal length is considerably longer than the typical 16 inches assumed for reading glasses, that is, the normal distance at which one would hold a book, for example. So like you, I doubt that my eyesight could take in six pages, as the outter two would seem miles away to me. If Chris can see those easily such that it works for him, that's great, as it surely eliminates nettlesome page turns.

David

6. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Alphonso,

Somehow I missed your post here and neglected to reply. My apologies!

Thanks so much for your kind observations on my playing! Yes, in learning a new piece, I like to first characterize it (in this case I found it difficult at first though), then form a vision of it in my mind (usually from my own life experiences), then construct a musical interpretation accordingly, and finally express it through specific intentions during performance in order to convey it to the listener. Unfortunately, I don't possess a "big technique"; nevertheless, I most often find that even without that, if the vision (Hofmann's "tonal picture") and intents are both clear and present, I can still meet my goal of putting the music across to the listener satisfactorily. The music is in the score of course, but in my opinion it must stir the mind and emotions before it can be realized at the piano.

David

7. Lukecash

Lukecash New Member

student
    I give you an air hug for uploading Catoire :eek: If i could pick one composer to try to restore, it may very well be him.

8. Rachfan

Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Lukecash,

Your post made my day!! :D I've been struggling to help raise awareness of the Russian late romantic Georgy Catoire and his fine piano music. He was an extraordinary composer in my opinion. In his day, had he not been effectively blackballed by the Rimsky-Korsakov clique, if he had actively recitalized and promoted his own compositions, and had the Soviet Culture Ministry continued to print his scores, I believe that Catoire would be well known today and established in the standard repertoire. I believe that's apparent just from the kind and wonderful reception his music has gotten here at Piano Society by my colleagues. A couple of the other members even contributed recordings of this music as well. Marc-Andre Hamelin has released a CD of Catoire's music, and Koji Attwood has played Catoire's music in recitals. It seems so odd, though, that with all of the fine Russian pianists around, it falls to pianists in the United States (and me, an amateur!) and France to try to boost this composer! I've likewise posted a large number of recordings here of another nearly forgotten late romantic, Sergei Bortkiewicz.

If you'd like to hear the other three Catoire Preludes of Op. 17, you can go to the home page, click on Composers, and you'll find Catoire there, including the two other recordings made by the other members. I'm now busy at work on another Catoire opus.

Thanks for listening!

David

9. Lukecash

Lukecash New Member

student
    Well you just made my day... :)