Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Franz Liszt's big day!

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, Oct 21, 2011.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    But I don't understand why that image looks so bad. I've looked it up and made a 85x85 crop, and it looks like this.
    What happened ?

And actually, while the attachment here looks better than the one on the banner, it looks fuzzier than my original. Not sure what this software does with images :?

2. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Looking more closely I know the answer to the first question. I made a 85x85 crop of the original image, Monica made a slightly bigger crop, then resized it to 85x85. Resizing should probably be avoided, if possible, for these small images.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    The image in the banner looks fine to me. :?

You're welcome, Andrew. :wink:

4. 88man

88man Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Vosgerichian
    First Name:
    George
    Always a pleasure, Eddy! Saturn was visible earlier in the summer - it's one of my favorites too! Try using the Tele Vue Ethos eyepieces. The immersive views are like walking in space with its 100 degree wide views.... Well, reviews like that can present a crossroad to a budding composer. What did he do after that? I'd be curious how do you feel about the work years later. I wonder if the composer was an amateur astronomer too?... I am curious how he was able to keep it all together. Even large galaxies and nebulas have gravity - a unifying force that holds and binds all the themes, proportional rhythms, cells, time signatures together.

There's a pill for that too, but yes, he does seem aloof on cloud 9 when he plays. Perhaps he's dreaming of cloud 10? :lol: I don't care for his histrionics on stage either.

Brilliant performance in Montreux! I listened to both parts. That's a savage piece to play on your fingers. I am curious when he changed his name from György to Georges?... I know that he became a French citizen in 1968, but I have recordings with his birth name. I've heard his French interviews - Wow, can he smoke up a storm! It's amazing to wonder how he would have evolved musically in his later years if his son didn't commit suicide in the apartment. He didn't make any recordings after 1981. Cannons and Flowers only goes up to 1977.
    OK Andrew, I listened to the sweet "Valentine" Lisitsa version too... She's the most popular pianist on youtube now. She's still young (unfortunately married) :p , but once she gets every Etude out of the way, it will be interesting how she will musically evolve. I admit she's hot; it's like watching young Gwyneth Paltrow at the piano. :wink:

Chris, you can downsize, don't try upsizing photos. You'll get jpeg artifacts. When you save, go for the highest quality on file size - that's where I run into problems. Try to screen your photos at 100% and 200% to detect any noise in the original. Also, your file size for the photo is too small which can lead to compression artifacts. If you have to upsize, double the pixels first, then Despeckle to remove noise. Here's a resized 85x85 if you need another one.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I know. But on rare occasions it has to be done if all I can get is a tiny image.

Downsizing is not usually a problem. But I think is is when you downsize just a little, say from 90x90 to 85x85, which I think has happened here.

6. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I believe he changed his name to Georges partly due to his acquiring French citizenship and partly to avoid confusion with his son (also György) who was the conductor on many of his piano/orchestra performances.

Cannons and Flowers was originally a memoir in French, and published in 1977; what is on the link is an English translation. He did make a few recordings after 1981, the year of his son's death, including a Liszt disc for the 1986 bicentenary, but I must admit to never having seen any of them.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    He had a rough upbringing AND his own son committed suicide? :( That is so awful; I lost a close relative to suicide. It's terrible and the sadness never leaves you. I feel very bad for Cziffra. :(

8. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Yes; a dreadful thing to happen to anyone. Cziffra never performed with orchestra again (his son having been the conductor on all his orchestral performances from the late 60s) and the youtube clips available of his live performances from the late 80s show a considerably more circumspect performer.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That poor man. I'm going to have to read the book that you linked.