Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Four Preludes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by tpascale, Feb 6, 2008.

1. tpascale

tpascale Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Here are four short piano pieces - original compositions. The first two were posted a while back without the printed music. I figured out how to use Sibelius (tricky to learn but great after you get used to it) and now am posting all four with the scores as pdf files. I hope you like them.

Prelude no.1, Poem
    Prelude no.2, Intermezzo
    Prelude no.3, Glass
    Prelude no.4, Lullaby

Sheet music for all four preludes are located on this page (could not make internal links):
    http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=659

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Well done. Reminds me of something I would hear on the "Whispers" station on iTunes-iRadio.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Preludes

Beautiful! I really liked these pieces, Tom. I think my favorite was the fourth one. The melodiy and harmony were very touching to me. Good job! I had no idea you're a composer.

I'm interested in learning how you printed the scores. Do you have some information on web sites on printing scores?

Thanks, John.

4. Casper89

Casper89 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bronner
    First Name:
    Friedemann
    Nice! I don't understand anything about composing, how did you learn to compose?

5. tpascale

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the kind words.

John - re: printing scores - I used Sibelius to create the scores, which I think is a terrific program, although I must say I hated it at first. You have to memorize dozens of keystroke commands to navigate the score & input notes - which at first feels very unnatural. But having suffered through the learning curve I've now become a fan - the program is very powerful and you can create very complex scores. As for printing, Sibelius doesn't create pdf files directly, but to get pdf's I downloaded & installed some freeware from TinyPDF.com, and now when I print from Sibelius (or any other program) I can route the output into a PDF file rather than hardcopy.

6. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    This is wonderful music and very well composed and played!

It seems to me as you build your music from strong melodies combined with a structure that fits well into most people's mind, combined with pretty difficult and complex harmonic changes. Very inspiring!

I took it as your wanted to replace the two existing preludes with these recordings (so I replaced them) with the two new. All four and the sheet music is now up on the site and perhaps you wish to add some text along with your music? Up to you to decide of course.

7. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are four beautiful miniatures, as meticulously crafted as they are played. Catchy tunes and harmonies, coupled with a taut and logical argument. I hear echoes of many 20th century composers - the first has a whiff of Copland and the second is pure Mompou (I expect you to submit some Mompou any time now - here's a composer for you if there ever was one).

I found the Lullaby less interesting than the other three - though it got better towards the end. Glass is very original though some of the harmonic twists here are a touch contrite (I did not feel this in the other pieces).

8. tpascale

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Chris - it's funny you mention Mompou. My piano tuner likes Mompou and noticed I didn't have any. So he coached my wife to get me a Mompou Christmas gift consisting of a thick Salabert Mompou album and a 4-CD set of Mompou's complete piano works played by Mompou himself. That adds up to quite a bit of Mompou. Up till now it's just sat on the shelf only because I haven't found the time, but now because of you I am going to have to listen to all that Mompou.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Because of me :shock:
    You must do that anyway ! I have that CD box too and it is wonderful, even if the composer's de-synchronized attack gets infuriating in places. His freedom gets to be too much of a good thing sometimes, but I guess he's entitled to it :wink:

I was struck by how much your 2nd prelude resembles Mompou - be interesting to see if you agree. In any case, I think there is much of his music you may want to play. That Salabert album contains his most important works, I think (have not got it myself as I already owned a number of the separate Salabert editions).

10. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Wow, I'm sooooo impressed by this beautiful music and the equally beautiful performance/sound!!! :eek:
    An experience like this I have not so often, therefore have many thanks from me!!!!!

(I wish I could play some of these - esp. the third one - myself in a future. Is there any guideline for a public performance with regard to your copyright?? Even though I have not so many opprtunities of public performances...)

11. tpascale

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    hyenal - I'm glad you liked the music & flattered that you might want to try playing some of it. Any non-commercial / non-profit use of the recordings or of the music is ok with me. (I guess if you did perform any of these works technically that would be a world premiere. Hey, how about that.)

Chris - in case you happen to notice this post - I'm off from work today and have been listening to Mompou play Mompou all morning.

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Good boy :D

13. Mr Duffy

Mr Duffy New Member

No.3 is very beautiful!
    thanks Mr Duffy

14. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Oh my god! I'm not a suitable pianist, who is qualified to make the "world premiere" of these really beautiful masterpieces of you! Therefore, let me know, if these pieces have a world premiere somewhere. Only then I'll begin to plan a non-commercial/non-profit public performance :D
    But to practice before it wouldn't be harmful :wink:

Thank you once more for the beautiful music!

15. tpascale

Last Name:
    Pascale
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hyenal - you needn't feel that way. For one thing, I listened to your Scriabin recording so I know that you are an EXCELLENT pianist. Also, the comment about a "world premiere" was meant as a joke - I'm not a professional and and I don't take myself that seriously. So if you want to play any of these pieces in a recital feel free, and I will be the one to feel honored. And thanks again for your kind words about the music.