Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Fledermaus

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Tobias, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4skOyr14ec&fmt=18

I didn't submit an audio recording for this yet, as I want (and need) to do more work on it. If you listen, you'll see there are still lots of rough spots...so why did I record anyway? To be honest, I just wanted to give it a try to see where I am with this piece. Despite the many remaining problems, I'm a bit proud, since a year ago I would have never dreamed I'd be able to come close to playing this piece one day. So please consider this a kind of "beta version" :D

But especially for this "beta", any kind of comments (or encouragements) would be welcome! No need to be diplomatic, I have a "rough skin" (I'm pretty sure this saying does not translate to English, but never mind :wink: )!

Monica, once this will be ready, as promised, I'll dedicate the video to you and another fellow on a German forum for helping with the lyrics of The Lark!! I still don't fully understand the text - I'll post in the other thread...

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    For a piece having "rough spots" it sounded pretty good to me. I cant wait until the official debut.

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Whoa, very impressive ! You are a real keyboard lion. Sure there are some things that need to be worked on, but no problems that can't be solved.
    The only thing I would suggest that when you make a video, you try to keep your mouth shut a bit more. It looks a bit strange now and then.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow, Tobias - that was impressive! Great job so far!!

(and here we say, "tough skin" - I have that sometimes - like on....uh...Mondays. :lol: )

5. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Hi Tobias,

I echo the previous wows, yours is an already accomplished performance (despite your cautious caveat). If I may, I don't think it currently requires much more work. Memory is secure, dynamics are all there, the hardest passages are more or less all worked out.

Since you said you have a thick skin, I think you won't get offended by what I'm going to say. Probably you want more (and rightly so!): more speed and more smoothness in the runs, more power in the octave and chord passages, and of course even more flair, after all it's a waltz, and a Konzertparaphrase of one. But this is stuff that, I'm afraid, can come only at a higher level of technical proficiency, which is the result of many months (or even years) of playing a lot of different pieces rather than insisting on this very one. In your shoes, I'd stop working heavily on it and I'd just run through the single difficult passages (you know which ones), with restrained power but great energy, that is, focusing on speed and accuracy, not loudness. Then, as in any learning process, rest is as important as hard work. I'd like to hear other experienced pianists about this topic. Unfortunately, it seems to me that learning methods are poorly debated by pianists.

By the way, I'm glad to see another genuine fan of piano transcriptions.

6. mgasilva

mgasilva New Member

Physician
    Congratulations!!!

This is a great interpretation.

And everyone should know that before Mickey there was Fledermaus.

:)

Marcelo.

7. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Thanks for mentioning this, Chris. I was not aware. Sometimes my teacher also remarks that I'm doing jaw movements - this stuff not only looks odd, it may also be a sign of tension in the neck region.

Thanks Alf for that very helpful feedback. I agree there's a certain point at which we must stop, because we need time to grow (pianistically, musically) before having realistic chances of substantial improvements. Since I'm planning a little recital in October (transcriptions only), I've been bringing the entire program back to memory recently. I want to keep it there until October and still work on all pieces intensively. My teacher thinks (and I hope) there's still a margin for making them more secure and more musical before giving them a rest. Afterwards I'll follow your advice and go for something completely different!!

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    You should not only listen to yourself, but if you make videos, also look at yourself. I made one video as an experiment and I was appalled by my terrible gaze at the sheet music. That's something I would need to work on when making more videos - look more relaxed as if having a good time. Playing from memory probably would help but I can't do that.

But hey, apart from that little visual thing, you are doing just fine there !

9. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    One thing you quickly learn when recording yourself, especially including video, is to become a bit relaxed about one's appearance. Sure, we should always try to avoid things that distract from the music (or just look stupid), but if that's the only reason for not making videos -- then it's not a good reason!! :D

Btw, if I would be learning and recording music with the same "high-throughput mode" (and still high-quality) as you do, I would also have no chance to play from memory - it would be simply too much to get it into my head!

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hehe, finally somebody who understands :wink:

11. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Where is your recital held and what are you going to play?

By the way I'd like to thank you for the Zimerman interview you posted on your YT channel. Does he still live (and teach) in Basel?

12. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Hi Alf, it'll be in a local school in Basel (free entrance, people can donate to the school), and I hope to find some other small places as well... would be great to find more than one opportunity. Before that I will do a number of test runs: first, recording myself alone but playing the full program as if "real"; then, 3 or 4 sessions with family and friends (of course, the people coming to the "real" recital will probably be mostly friends/colleagues as well). If you have any other suggestions for preparing, I'd appreciate it! Though I've played in several class recitals, it will be my first full-length recital, so it's a new experience with some uncertainties.... (though I've played 50% of the program last winter a couple of times for friends).

I'm playing all the things on my channel plus some stuff that I haven't recorded yet. My current idea is to have the first half filled with "lighter" pieces, while in the second half playing three more weighty or serious works. Any comments on the order of pieces are very welcome! The repertoire itself is fixed - it was too much work to change anything! :)

Schubert-Tausig: Military March
    Glinka-Balakirev: The Lark
    Mozart-Thalberg: Voi Che Sapete
    Beethoven-Thalberg: Adelaide
    Schubert-Liszt: Ständchen
    Grünfeld: Fledermaus
    Chopin: Souvenir de Paganini
    --
    Busoni: Sontina 6 (super Carmen)
    Brahms: Variations from String Sextet op. 18
    Wagner-Liszt: Tannhäuser Ouverture

As encore (well, in case people are not running away instantly :wink: ) I'd like to play the Kupelwieser waltz (Schubert-R.Strauss).

You're welcome! He still lives there, but I have never met him. He seems to have retired from teaching, but he is still giving recitals, for example in Basel in October. Apparently there is also a new CD release on Deutsche Grammophon coming in autumn.

P.S. The "quote" function seems to be broken for me, or am I doing anything wrong?

13. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You have to disable HTML in your profile. I just went in and did that for you, so quotes should work now.

14. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Cool, it works! Thanks, Monica! :D

15. alf

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Good lord, Tobias, this is hard stuff. I too love those Brahms Variations, I hope you put them on YT (and up here of course). And Busoni and Wagner-Liszt... Well all together it's about one full hour of music ranging from difficult to virtuoso piece. Congratulations for that, and for your good taste too.

16. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Hi Tobias, I watched some performances of you on YT and am very impressed!!! I envy your courage, your musicality, your technique, your memory...
    I don't know much about transcriptions, but I love the possibilities of pianists to play nearly every wonderful music in the world on their instrument!!! I myself had been worked on a transcription (Rach-Bach Suite No. 3 for Violon solo), although it's not finished at all. And there is a transcription which I really want to play... but it's said that there is no score yet: Gulda-Bizet: Flower Song from Carmen. Sadly I'm not such a blessed person who can hear something and play on the piano exactly... :(

By the way I didn't know that there is a transcription of Adelaide. I love the song and am very interested! Did you already record this piece and put on the YT? Is the piece difficult?

17. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Thanks very much, Hye-Jin!! I never heard of the Gulda-Bizet transcription, is it by Friedrich Gulda? Actually, I thought he never played any transcriptions.... now that's really interesting.
    Btw, the Busoni sonatina 6 also contains 2 pages with the flower song melody.

Regarding Adelaide, please have a look here:
    http://server3.pianosociety.com/new/php ... php?t=3645

18. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    You can listen to the audio sample on the page: http://www.gulda.at/deutsch/werkliste/text.php Find the "1992 Hier an dem Herzen treu geborgen – Orig. Georges Bizet / Arr. F. Gulda" on the list! And as you see there, Gulda had arranged many works!!!
    I had sent an email to Gulda Society to find the score, but I got the following reply from Mr. Nova:

Friedrich Gulda hat diese Arrangements wie beispielsweise jene Arie aus Carmen im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes "aus dem Ärmel geschüttelt", und daher nie aufgeschrieben.
    Im Moment gibt es daher im Handel keinen Notentext davon.
    Ich werde Ihre Anfrage aber gerne an unseren Partner und Verleger der Werke Friedrich Guldas, den "Papageno-Verlag" weiterleiten, auf das hoffentlich in absehbarer Zeit Friedrich Guldas Bearbeitungen in gesammelter Form transkribiert und veröffentlicht werden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen!
    Rainer Nova

I'll listen to your Adelaide in this afternoon :D

19. Tobias

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    Thanks for that interesting page, Hye-Jin! If you ever get the score of this, please think of me and share it! :)

So far, the only composition I know by Friedrich Gulda is the concerto for Cello and wind orchestra. A good friend of mine loves it and I had to listen to it a couple of times. It's supposed to be humourous but I didn't like it too much....