Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

First posting: Chopin Waltz c#-minor Op. 64 No. 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by harald, Jul 1, 2007.

1. harald

harald Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
  2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I am impressed. It was clean and straight-forward with excellent use of the tempo. But we'll see with the official critique by the Admins. Until then, congrats.

-jg

3. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Yes, really excellent performance, my compliments! It's very well balanced, neither too sentimental nor too agitated, and has a very natural feeling. Amazing! :shock:

Welcome to the board! Have you made more recordings? If yes, you must post them!

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Drats. Chaotica beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.
    Nice playing!

5. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    Many thanks for the compliments!

Other recordings will follow if I am accepted by the admins.

Greetings from germany,

Harald

6. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Chopin

Well done indeed! I can't add much to what the others have said. My only comment is that I like to play the middle section a little softer, more dolce, if you will. But your performance was excellent.

7. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    Yes, that sounds great to me too - very well balanced, not too much rubato, very tasteful! Your recording is an enrichment, although there are already several recordings of that here. But it is such a beautiful waltz, there can't be enough interpretations of that, and yours is very good! i can imagine that the B-part is played a bit more lively, but of course personal choice.

You play some notes differently as I am used too. That is in the A-part, 2 bars before the B-part (before the piu mosso part), you play an additional note to the first e in the right hand (the 4th note), same in the repetition of the A-part. In the C-part (piu lento) there is a slur in the 2nd bar to the next bar in the right hand but you repeat the note instead to hold it, same 4 bars later. That all can be edition differences however, I dunno.

Overall great playing!

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Beautifully played and a pleasure to listen to ! We seem to have some recordings of this waltz already :wink: but this one can compete with the best. Is it a digital piano or an extremely well-groomed acoustic ?

Welcome on board Harald. Please post bio details and a photo and we will add you to the roster. Roll on the next recordings !

9. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    My edition is the "Könemann Music Budapest". But I remember that I compared this one with that from my piano teacher and we had to make changes in my edition. The additional g# was from his edition. We added many missing slurs and I'm sure we forgot that one you mentioned.

I'm impressed by your good ears!

Greetings,

Harald

10. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    This question gives me a hint on how far the digitalization has come already. Well, it is the Steinway piano from Ivory (http://www.synthogy.com), but not with its build-in reverb and EQ.

11. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Extremely well played and an about perfect interpretation to my ears. Assuming you wish to go up as a pianist on the site, do you happen to have a biography?

12. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    The recording is up on the site as well as your biography.

13. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    No big deal - I played that waltz too, therefore I know the notes. I've looked at the "Könemann Music Budapest" publisher in the internet. It looked interesting - they provide Urtext scores with extended critical remarks for very cheap prices. I am only wondering, if they claim to rely on autographs and first editions why you and your teacher needed to add many missing slurs? I thought, maybe it is a good alternative regarding Henle Urtext for instance, but if there many missing slurs, I dunno?

Ah, now I see - first I thought what for a special Steinway brand labeled "Ivory" exist - but it seems to be a sound modul to play back MIDI files, right?

This is from your personal description site - what do you mean with that? I really would like to know how do you create your recordings. Do you create a MIDI file first, in order to play it back with above mentioned sound modul? Have you done any MIDI edition work too, or is all what you play done without MIDI edition?
    Excuse my inquisitiveness!

14. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    I think we added the slurs because it sounded more familiar. Maybe the cheapness is an indication for less accurate work.

It is a VST-plugin that you can use in Cubase or other VST capable applications. Since the last update there also exists a standalone version. The plugin itself can not play midi files.

With my old real piano recordings would sound terrible. With a digital piano you have more brilliance an no background noise. I saw your recording setup. It is not so easy to deal with. Placing of microphones etc. You need a good piano, good microphones and so on.

You can ask everything! Before 2006 I recorded the native sound of my digital piano. Cutting out page turn gaps and e. g. a page I played again was done with a wave editor afterwards. Now, with a VST-piano (another famous is Steinbergs "the grand" by the way) I do this post production in cubase. Actually I do not change any notes, but technically this would be possible.

15. MindenBlues

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    So that means, you record the MIDI data within the PC, and edit the MIDI file for gaps like page turns and let it play back with a digital sound modul. If you do so, why do you play a page again in order to replace a slip instead edit out the slip in the MIDI file, what is so much easier?

Can't help - and that is nothing against you personal, only against that approach for creating recordings - I for myself prefer audio recordings, even with slips. I know how much work is needed to play slipfree in real life. Therefore I am a sceptic guy if I listen to perfect clean digital recordings.

16. harald

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Vetter
    First Name:
    Harald
    This scepticism is legitimate nowadays. If I would cut out only the slip I didn't actually play it right before. This would be fake if you want so. So I repeat a whole the passage till I'm pleased with it and cut out the tries before. This method can also be used if you don't have midi data. I like e. g. to play Bach with the harpsichord sound of my digi piano. The yamaha sound is still better than any harpsichord sound that I've heard on the PC. So I have to do wave editing and can use the mentioned method.