Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Fireworks (Debussy)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by diminished2nd, Nov 14, 2007.

1. diminished2nd

diminished2nd New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
  2. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    This was fantastic too! Nicole is gonna shoot me, but I think this was better than any we have on site (and I'm a real big fan of Nicole's Debussy ... have you heard her la fille prelude? scrumptious!)

Anyway, stunning, breathtaking and awe-inspiring are words that readily come to my mind.

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Debussy

Very impressive. I don't have the score and haven't played this myself, but it sounds like a wonderful live performance. I'm amazed you are so advanced for such a young age.

4. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    I'll have to check out Nicole's Debussy stuff. He's one of my favourite composers (I could never choose just one!!), and his music is SO beautiful when it's really played well...

Again, thank you for all of your kind words... Mr Robson: it's a good thing I don't have any recordings from before about June of this year... That's when I started getting really serious about the piano. It's amazing what 5 or 7 hours of practice a day can do :p

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    This is up, Austin. Very nice playing.

6. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Piano Teacher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Muller
    First Name:
    Nichole
    Hi!

Yes, this is really great playing! It is very effective at this quicker tempo. And I really like the absence of pedal on the first page. Debussy himself wrote to his publisher, Jacques Durand, that he felt pianists who blur what needn't be blurred with pedal are often covering for a lack of technique. Yep, ha ha, so you'll hear the old damper pedal down a bit for me on that first page, but your technique here is impeccable.

Most people where I live (including me, until I listened beyond just the most well-known of Debussy) have a preconceived idea of Debussy being pretty girly kind of music, probably yes, from more popular songs like "Fille Aux Cheveux de Lin". But wow, this piece is a joy of schizophrenic mood changes, and really fun to play, I think, and hope you found it fun too. I performed it years ago for a group of colleagues. Polite clapping afterwards, combined with looks to eachother of great confusion, so I concluded they assumed I had just made some crazy stuff up on the spot, as no one had ever heard Debussy like this before. Wish old Claude coulda been there to get a bit of a laugh, as I read that he often had something to say to/about folks who thought his music fit into one category only.

Great job!

7. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Hahaha "old Claude" :lol: I'm glad you found my recording satisfactory... I did have a really good time playing it! That is to say, I had a good time playing it after I finally was able to play it... I put off practicing it for the longest time, because I love practicing things with the metronome (start out slow, and bump the metronome up 4 bpm each time...), and I have a harder time without that "routine". And with all kinds of groupings and 11 against 14 and everything else that's in there........... I finally started really practicing it about 2 weeks before the recital from which the recording came though, and then I ended up being the happier with how it turned out than my other 3 pieces!

It's interesting that Debussy said that about the pedal, since his music is always played with so much pedal... and it's all so full of colours and everything too (that's what I love so much about it!)

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I must admit being no great fan of this piece, but you play it very well. A little dry and brittle perhaps, but that may be a choice. The fast notes in the beginning do not sound optimally smooth but otherwise, very accomplished !

BTW - With a forum name like that, I will be expecting lots of Bartok recordings from you :D

9. diminished2nd

Last Name:
    Kendrick
    First Name:
    Austin
    Hehehe I haven't played any Bartok in a while... I want to learn his sonata sometime :lol:

10. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    You do a very good job here as well and it is difficult to produce all the fast notes evenly. I asked my 8 years old daughter whether she thought it sounded like a firework but she was skeptical ;). Well done!