DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Felix Mendelssohn

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Anonymous, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2. robert

robert New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    http://pianosociety.com
    WLM:
    robertstahlbrand@hotmail.com
    When someone mentions a piano sonata in B flat major Op. 106, one can only think of one: Beethoven's Hammerklavier! What are the odds of another sonata in B flat major that just happens to be an Op. 106?

Since this work of Mendelssohn was posthumously published, it certainly wasn't deliberate on Mendelssohn's side. Even more peculiar is the first Allegro movement which actually does resemble the first movement of the Hammerklavier. It's almost a petite version of it and this movement is purely inspired by Beethoven and still fresh with delightful Classical ideas. The Andante movement is stunningly beautiful and contains one of Mendelssohn's loveliest streams of melodies and modulations. The last movement is just as engaging, with gorgeous arpeggios and frolicking rhythms.

I believe in your recording Setrak that you have understood this and implements the classical musical ideas with Mendelssohn's romantic era in a perfect manner. Pure technically, the recordings are excellent and must be the result of a careful study of this Sonata!

The recordings are up on the site.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are very perfect in your analyzing Robert, I agree with you, your musical knowledge is very high and perfect, congratulations to you.

Today I will post Weber's Sonata no. 3 in D minor, op. 49 J. 206 Complete, It's Live performing and recording in 1989

4. rachmaninoff

rachmaninoff New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Poortinga
    First Name:
    Robert
    first and third movement are the same... I think

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    All these 4 links were to the 1st movement. I've corrected that.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow, that was excellent! I'm not a huge Mendolsohn fan but that made me want to listen to it...very impressive, keep it up.

download new piano music at mattgreenecomposer.com

7. schmonz

schmonz Amitai Schlair Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schlair
    First Name:
    Amitai
    Very easy listening and it is always instructive to listen to familiar composers in unfamiliar works. Mendelssohn surprises me at 1:05 and 1:10, where the melody plays the 7th scale degree over a V6 (so the leading tone is doubled), approached by similar motion, and on a strong beat! Certainly I'm not allowed to do that on my composition homework. But then I suppose the rules are different once one gets past Opus 100. :)