Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Faure - Pavane (piano transcription)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    I really liked this piece (I have never even heard the orchestral version before). It's got interesting harmonies and contrast, and while the middle section doesn't really convince me, the outer bits make up for it I think. I also liked the way you played it, with the detached left hand and legato right hand...is that marked in your copy of the music? I noticed a lot of people don't play it that way.

I just went to find this on YouTube, and I have been listening to it (and I started typing all of this before reading the whole thread and finding the last bit I quoted from you above....after I typed it all out I realized it would be quite strange indeed for you to not notice all those differences, lol).

I noticed after that really long RH trill leading back into the main theme (starting at 1:06 in the YouTube video...when the main theme begins again, Fauré plays different bass notes all through that section, while you play the same bass notes as the first time. Also, leading into the middle section, he plays that descending 'pickup' (for lack of a better word) into the middle in octaves. Then, coming out of the middle section (right before the LH goes detaché again), there is a simple minor 1-2-3-4-5 thing (the fast pickup notes) in your transcription that sounds more chromatic in Fauré's recording (though it's fast and fuzzy). Then in the return of the original theme the left hand is very different. Then at the beginning of the coda, his octaves are I think two octaves lower than your octaves, and there are other various differences in the ending. So maybe your transcription is not Fauré's after all.

Also, I just looked at those two PDFs that Felipe posted, and neither is the version Fauré played. So perhaps he only 'transcribed' it by ear/memory, and this 'transcription' was known only through his performances of it? Hence the other transcriptions (there would be no logical reason for anyone else to transcribe it if Fauré had already done it). If there is not an accurate transcription of what Fauré played in this roll, I could probably make one. It's a little fuzzy, but it wouldn't be too hard to dictate (if this is what Schultz and the other person were doing, they didn't do a very good job, but if they were working only with the orchestral score, it's understandable).

One last thing - I don't doubt the authenticity of the roll. The differences in the transcriptions and the roll......I'd say the choices in the roll are more musically mature and interesting than the ones in the transcriptions (though I didn't look too closely at the non-Schultz one, and I actually only listened to the Schultz one, via you). Sorry for making that whole post out of order and confusing. :lol:

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks, Theresa. Yes, the way I played it is the way it is marked in the score (I think). I don't have it in front of me right now, but there are no pedal marks and I chose to not use the pedal that much. I played the Schultz version, and although we ccannot be sure if the piano roll is truly Faure or not, it truly is possible that he is but simply inadvertently changed things as he played. Granados did this often, as well. Don't bother making another transcription as I am happy with this vresion, unless of course you just mean to make it for yourself. It is a pretty piece, I also like it very much.

3. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Thank Monica for asking. She began to speak something like papa, mamma... I know they don't have the correct meaning yet (she says papa when she is happy and mamma when she is angry :lol:), however it's very cute. Well, I'm going to post her photo when I can finally post a new recording on AR [sigh]
    (And sorry about this unmusical comment! After Terez' analytical and learned comments mine is too abruptly off-topic :wink:)

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    are you sure she doesn't really know the meaning?? :lol:

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's because she knows that Mamma will make things happen - in other words, make everything better. Papa - well, she is Daddy's little girl, but perhaps Daddy doesn't change dirty diapers? :lol:

Okay, Hye-Jin, I'll be looking forward to your recordings and photos in the near future. :)

Felipe - you better be nice or Santa Claus will not visit you! :lol:

6. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Oh, you are right! It's me who makes things better [ 8) very proud ]. The Daddy does his best (well, he can change diapers much faster than me :D). But somehow she likes me more :lol:
    :lol: :lol: Mery Christmas, Monica and Felipe!

7. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    Or too many Santas will!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84oOfzTmc5g (great movie, btw)

:lol:

Nice find Monica, the transcription bug bites you too, every now and then. :D

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks for listening, Alfonso. :)

But oh no....that poor little boy. I want to scoop him up and comfort him - that is a very scary scene. btw - I've never seen or heard of that movie. Will have to look for it on TV one of these days.

9. alf

alf Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Bertazzi
    First Name:
    Alfonso
    I think you'd like that movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_of_Lost_Children). I love it.

10. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I didn't get any scared, because... sorry to say this... I didn't want to shock anyone's beliefs... but I do not believe in Santa Claus! really!

It is simply someone dressing like this:

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, it's not. Sheesh! :lol:

(cute photo :) )