Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Faure - Pavane (piano transcription)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Dec 4, 2009.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I heard this piece in my car a while ago in a choral and orchestra arrangement (which I think is the original way) and thought it was pretty. Then at the end, the radio announcer mentioned that Faure also transcribed it for piano. I was happy to hear that and decided to find the music, which took me awhile. Hope you like it.

Faure - Pavane, Op. 50

2. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    wow!
    I didn't know Fauré transcribed it for piano! be sure I'd have already recorded it if I knew so! I like it very much, though at times it sounds like an imitation of Ravel's Pavane (but I don't know which of them came first... since Fauré was Ravel's teacher. he was, wasn't he?)

this is good playing (nice stacatto contrast with the flowing melody).
    I think I'd take it a little slower, but maybe it's just a question of getting used to this tempo.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening, Felipe. And I had forgotten but just checked - Ravel was a student of Faure. The melody is much different between both of their compositions, but the overall style is similar with that detached left hand and smooth right hand, so I could see why you said what you said.

As far as tempo goes – I really didn’t know what tempo to play, but was delighted to find a Youtube video of Faure himself playing this same piece, so naturally, I went with his tempo. Except in the vide(audio) I swear that the tempo increases as it goes and I’m wondering if it is because it’s a piano roll and maybe they do that? I’m also a bit lost about the actual music that I played; it has a different name listed as the transcriber, but it is the exact version that Faure plays so I dunno… I do know that it took me two days to download the music because it was with a million other F composers’ works, and I couldn’t isolate it from the torrent file. Now I have tons of stuff on my computer by F composers I have never heard of before. Time to do some cleaning….

4. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    this pavane is much different than Ravel's, mainly regarding harmony.
    but the melody has some similarities. it becomes clearer when played slower.
    anyway... I think I'd never be able to explain it through writing. I'd need to draw something (really!) hehe. Both have somewhat the same "physical format" (once you "draw" the melody), and considering the style and the melancholy of both, I find them similar.

5. Daniel Hoehr

Daniel Hoehr Guest

A beautiful piece of music and very well performed! I haven't heard it before but I definitely like the groovy Bach/Gould - style portamento in the left hand and the way the piece builds up.

Nice one, well done!

Cheers

Daniel

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Felipe - are you a good drawer? Go ahead and try to draw out your thoughts on the music - that would be something different here.

@Daniel - Thank you. :)

7. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    the thing is...
    I would draw and try to explain while listening and pointing to the draw... I don't know if this works in a virtual forum.
    hehe

anyway... this is the same way to explain the relation between the theme from 1st and 3rd movements of Beethoven's Waldstein.

8. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You could make a video. :idea: :lol:

9. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I can think of it!
    hehe

these are the two versions of Faure's Pavane, for solo piano, which I could find.
    none of them were done by Fauré himself.
    is any of them the version you played?

10. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes - I found both of those same versions. I played the one by Schultz. But that's the part I don't get. If you listen to this video,
    you will hear that it is the same as this "Schultz" version. But it's Faure's piece, I would think he would be the one to transcribe it. Unless the Schultz person was a friend of his and did it for him.

Actually, I'm listening to it right now as I type and it's not exactly the same, but almost - wait, it is the same, sort of....

btw - how did you find these two pdf's so fast?

11. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I found them in eMule.

just to tell you to doubt at some of these piano rolls. Ravel recorded some "rolls" of his pieces, but then I came across a version of Ondine which was supposed to be played by him. afterwards, they discovered it was played by other pianist.

12. hyenal

hyenal New Member Piano Society Artist

Ph.D student
    Last Name:
    Lee
    First Name:
    Hye-Jin
    Nice performance, Monica :D

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Hye-Jin. Hope your baby daughter is doing well? (maybe we can see a new photo?)

@Felipe - I didn’t know about some piano rolls recordings not being authentic. That surprises me – I really hope all the Granados piano roll recordings I’ve listened to are really Granados playing them. Hate to think if I have been gushing over somebody else. Regarding emule – I remember you telling me about that before. I just installed it on my computer and I see where you found those Faure pieces. Wonder what other ‘goodies’ I’ll find there. :D

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Never mind about the emule thing. I tried to download one little Granados pdf file but it has been over three hours and I'm still waiting for the download. I must be doing something wrong. Oh well….

15. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    not really!
    it may take days or weeks to download something from eMule.

I don't care, because there are rare stuffs which I can find only there. and I leave my computer on all the time.

16. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Wow - kind of weird that it takes so long. I am not a patient person so that's not a good thing.

But good to know, Felipe. Thanks. I'll keep that program on my computer anyway.

17. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

I'm familiar with much of Faure's piano literature, but had never heard this transcription before. While Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante defunte" gives a nod to this earlier "Pavane" of Faure, I don't hear a really close resemblance bordering on plagiarism. The often prominent staccato effect too in the Faure piece is quite unlike Ravel's piece which is more lyrically flowing. Yet there is that faint alluding to Faure's melody at times, so I grant you that. The Pavane doesn't seem as characteristic of Faure as, say, the Barcarolles or Nocturnes, and plus being a piano transcription, it's quite a novelty.

I don't have the score, but believe you played this piece very well . You obviously put much careful work into it, and it shows. I really enjoyed your performance!

Here's a bit of trivia. I had always thought of a pavane as being a French stately dance form in quadruple time. Well... I just looked it up, and originally it was an Italian court dance in the 16th Century! It may have taken its name from pavano, in Italian meaning peacock. But, it seems that a few pavanes were written in triple time as well. OK, I saved the best for last. The actual dance step is two single and one double step forward, followed by by two single and one double step backward. Hey, that sounds like the Cha-cha! :lol:

18. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening, David. And also for the interesting words about the dance. Reminds me about seeing you dance around so well in that elf video I made last year. :lol:

19. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

Well, in the elf dance I was actually trying to do the pavane, but the pitchforks cramped my style. I had good intentions though. :)

David

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, so that's what the pavane looks like! :lol: