Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Faure - Nocturne Op. 36, no. 4

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by pianolady, Jan 26, 2015.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I've been trying to record this piece for a couple weeks, but it just wasn't going well. Yesterday, I played it for my piano group and since it's still pretty tight in my fingers, I thought I'd give it another go this afternoon. Hope it's okay.

Faure - Nocturne in E-flat Major, Op. 36, No. 4

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I thought you'd already recorded this one. Or perhaps that was no.3. This one is ok though the first section is a bit pedestrian and slow. I don't understand why at 3:14 you suddenly get quite breathless - is it supposed to be that much quicker ? The climax is a bit choppy, with short phrases separated by slightly too long pauses, rather than a long flowing line. The coda was best IMO, though the two upward runs seem too slow. And this time, your piano seems ever so slightly out of tune too :p
    Are you working on more Faure Nocturnes ? I'm planning no.2 before long, and nos. 5-8 later.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for listening, Chris. You're right....next time I'm also going to record something nobody knows... :wink:

--The opening section - I like it the way I play it, which is gentle and with feeling.

--3:14 - I'll give you that one. I guess I did play it a little too fast. But I don't think it hurts the piece. If anything, it gives the piece more motion, more driving intensity.

--Which leads to the climax...I don't hear any choppiness and pauses. Maybe some teeny-tiny pauses when I'm reaching for the outer octaves in both hands. Not easy to do with my quick-ish tempo!

--Two upwards runs... they are plain 16th notes and I was counting 1-e-&-a, 2-e-&-a the whole time I was playing them. I think they are fine because I'm playing them at the same tempo as that whole last section.

--My piano is out of tune???? I recently had a Dampp-Chaser installed. It's only been on my piano for around three months. It's supposed to help stabilize the environment surrounding my piano and therefore cause the piano to remain in tune for longer times. Could be the piano is still acclimating to the new system. I think my piano sounds different too, but not the tuning, but the whole sound of it in general. I can't really explain it....

-- No, I am not planning on any more Faure nocturnes right now. I'm sure you are relieved... :p

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure if it matters - there doesn't seem to be anybody here anymore except us.

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I noticed. I'm wondering if we should just quit and close up the shop....

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It would seem the logical thing to do. I should have a look at the access logs to see if people are still listening to PS at all. The forum has clearly
    outlived its usefulness. What a pity, it used to be a lively place.

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Yes, I'd like to know that too. Can you please let me know?

This is sad.... :(

8. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Hi Monica,

I had a listen to your piece throughout, and think you play this one really well. It's got some odd rhythms that Faure has in a lot of his pieces, and I think that would be tricky to play so that is to your credit!

Hey, I'm listening too! Of course, being a mod, that makes three of us. Wonder where everybody else is? Hopefully there were no new years resolutions set to keep off pianosociety.

9. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I hate to disappoint, but you're not a mod anymore, and haven't been for quite some time actually. You never assumed your moderator role so there seemed no point in keeping it. Nothing personal !

10. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    I don't always comment, because although I have the time to listen, I do not always have the time to download a score and follow along that way.
    However, I listen through speakers (at the same volume that I listen to other downloads from the Web), and that might be a valuable sanity check, since I know that many others use headphones.
    In this case, I can tell you that the last chord comes through fine, and the speakers catch the cutoff 3 seconds from the end (sounds like the keys were released before the pedal, as there is a ghost of a 'twang', which is what happens sometimes with the pedal release).
    I thought the pedaling was fine. The ascending sixths between 6:00 and 6:30 are "reminiscent" of Chopin's D-flat major nocturne (almost copied, I'd say), and the same pedaling is usually used in that. In that region of the treble, one gets away with it without blurring.

Since I'm married to a singer, I've always thought of Faure as a vocal composer. It's fun hearing his piano works.

11. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    I see you've taken my name off the list. I haven't been able to upload since I had my new laptop, but that I've never assumed a moderator role is totally false. I was hoping I'd get a little bit more thanks for uploading recordings and all this time commenting though... Sheesh!

Nothing personal, though it involves me? Right...

12. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    But you've never uploaded, or have you ? At least I don't recall it. Indeed you have always been a prime commenter (is that a word ?), for which we sure are grateful. But that has little to do with having admin privileges on the forum. But I admit it's a bit sneaky not to tell you. I thought nothing of it at the time. It just did not (and does not) seem to be a big deal. If I had not mentioned it you might never even have noticed ! Sorry if I have unwittingly offended you.

Anyway things being as they are with PS these days we hardly need any more staff ....

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you, Riley! It is a little tricky in spots!! And yes, we REALLY do appreciate your efforts here!!!!! :)

Thank you too, Stu! It's very nice that you want to follow along with the score!! BUt it's okay too if you'd rather sometimes just sit back and listen.
    You're right about that 'twang' at the end. It was my pedal release. I tried to minimize it with my noise reduction function but I couldn't very well. I'm going to experiment with taking my fingers off the keys before the pedal and visa versa, because I don't know which way is better. Thank you for mentioning it!

14. pianoman342

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    You're welcome. I also appreciate the job You, Robert and Chris do. I don't think I've ever actually said so, shame on me.

I don't expect you to remember, it was way back in the summer of 2012, but yes. IIRC I helped put up some of Larrard's and Wyman's recordings. Haven't heard from Wyman on here in a long time.

It is forgiven. You're lucky I'm not one of those people who hold grudges... :lol:

Doesn't seem like it!

Sorry to hijack your thread, Monica... :wink:

15. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Oh yes, I now remember sending you the upload program.

I know. That would be nothing like you.