Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Faure - Nocturne No.1 Op.33 No.1 in E flat minor

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by techneut, Dec 26, 2014.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I have not heard that one before. It's nice and dark! Faure's music sure does not all sound the same.

Your playing is fine. I only wished for more forte in the forte sections. Also, it's hard to hear the very low notes.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Monica. I'm not sure about more forte though. Faure was, while a passionate one, a restrained composer who only occasionally prescribed fortissimos. In this piece that is only at the start of the 32-runs. Maybe I could have leaned a bit more into that one.

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    No, I just meant that I don't hear much forte anywhere, and there are several forte-marked passages. But it could simply be that your recorder is leveling out the dynamics. Those of us with relatively inexpensive recorders (compared to studio-quality mics and equipment) need to remind ourselves to really exaggerate our dynamics when recording.

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I see. It always comes down to the dynamics doesn't it !The wave form shows plenty of variation but somehow one does not hear enough of it. There should be an editor setting that makes soft passages softer and loud passages louder.
    Or, we learn to play like a professional...

6. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

I really love Fauré's piano music. (I plan to send in some Barcarolles soon)

I thought the best part of this performance was the section just after 3:00 -- the chord and ostinato ideas were nicely differentiated from each other, they each had their own tone colors and there was a longer phrase on the chord idea juxtaposed against shorter swells in the ostinato. You have clearly played lots of Bach :) And there was some give-and-take in the timing, which this style of music really demands. The other sections could all have benefited from more of those things. But I know this to be a challenging work, and in E flat minor of all keys! I applaud your performance.

7. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Heather. Another Faure fan ! Looking forware to your Barcarolles. I am planning some more of them too (specifically 2, 4, and 6 - seems I'm picking out the 'easy' ones....)

Having played lots of Bach definitely is an asset. But it's a double-edged sword, making me a terribly straight player, the internal clock ticking mercilessly. Indeed this particular piece could benefit from more freedom and greater dynamic range. I might want to redo it despite there's nothing really wrong with this recording.

Edit - I've already re-recorded it. I think it has marginally more dynamics and freedom now. It's also 20 seconds slower - always a good sign :)

8. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Chris,

I listened to this nocturne just now. I believe you played it very well. The piano sounded good too.

Where it was his first piece of that ouevre, it's probably not as great as others that came afterward that we've posted here previously. Nonetheless, it does show much promise, a unique idiom, and and how he can depart from the key signature, have a sojourn, and easily find his way back to the home key again. In part B he departs from the initial mood to a more contrasting one. He follows this ternary pattern in all of the Barcarolles and Nocturnes to good effect.

Thanks for posting it.

David

9. troglodyte

troglodyte Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Professor
    Last Name:
    Parrow
    First Name:
    Joachim
    Very good. It is like a walk in a mildly varying landscape with the same landmarks often in sight. I'm not familiar with it but think the dynamics are fine.

Joachim

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Thanks David and Joachim !