Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Fauré Preludes

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by AndyLeeG4, Feb 23, 2008.

1. AndyLeeG4

AndyLeeG4 New Member

Instructor, Regis University; Recording Artist, Ir
    Home Page:
  2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Excellently played, both of these lovely Preludes. A couple of misses here and there, but nothing to worry about as we say here. No.3 is close to perfection, but no.4 is much faster than it should be, according to the metronome mark, and your hyper-romantic and volatile approach robs the piece of its gentle and wistful elegance. Not that there is no passion in Faure, but the late pieces need more Gallic poise and restraint IMO, one should not treat them as if it were Scriabin.
    But ok, this is only an opinion (we have opinions galore here, as you will find out). Your interpretation is probably just as valid as another.

This is a set I love dearly, and have contemplated recording many times. Would have done if it were not for that perky no.2 which is always giving me trouble. Will you record more of this set ?

BTW - Welcome to Piano Society, and good to see somebody else making a case for Faure.

3. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Extremely competent playing of these charming preludes of Fauré. I have put up these two preludes on the site and noticed that Monica has installed your profile. Welcome to Piano Society!

4. chopinman0901

chopinman0901 New Member

It's so great to see someone playing my man Faure! These preludes are great, and it sounds to me like you nailed them! No. 3 was just a little fast for my taste, but whatever. I don't have the score for the preludes, so I can't tell you if you missed any notes. If you did slip up, as techneut said you might have, you integrated it very well into the music and didn't miss a beat.

It's a shame how neglected Faure is. His music is so wonderful, and thank you for providing an example of just how wonderful it can be. Great playing!

P.S. That was really good recording quality, by the way.