DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 750

Etude in G#m

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Anonymous, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Happy New Year everyone!

-Garrett

2. r590

r590 New Member

Very nice piece. It has a flowing melody that is experimented with throughout. I think a less-abrupt ending could improve it, perhaps? Did you come up with the melody first and then harmonize the bass afterwards?

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, a nice sounding piece. It could be really effective if it was played considerably faster (as would be expected from an etude), and as r590 says it is in need of a good coda. Just when there's an interesting harmonic development, and you think 'here's where the endgame starts', it just seems to break off. There are also some places where continuity is lost when you seem to be searching for a way to continue. Probably best to just keep up the motion, unless you insert a slower B section ?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't repeat it in the recording (which is writen with the D.C at the end), and I am likely to do some more work on it, which is dependent on the piece which is to follow. This was originally going to be an intro to the Fantasy that follows, but I decided to split it off as more of an excercise. This piece was also composed during this christmas break where I had alot of time to do stuff.

I'll be adding a nice Coda for sure, but I figured I would post what I had so far with it since I was ready to take a break.

I'm striving for something unique in my own style of course. I'll take a look at your comments and see what elese I can come up with to add even more flavor and to it, but I am glad you like it for what it is.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Did you come up with the melody first and then harmonize the bass afterwards?

It was all done simultaneously. To be quite honest, I don't know where it comes from, but when I start writing stuff evolves. I try to let the music itself tell me where to go. Then, after I get it all sketched out, I go in and fix up this and that and start looking at the overall structure.

All of my compising starts off with me just improvising sone stuff on the piano, and then I start writing my thoughts down, and then I massage them into a whole. It's kind of hard to explain, I guess it's why it's art and not science (for me anyway :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are also some places where continuity is lost when you seem to be searching for a way to continue.

Please point out some specific regions (by bar numbers) when you get the time and I'll be happy to take a look at it and I'll make changes for the update. Perhaps "etude" is the wrong title/genre for the piece.