Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

Errata??

Discussion in 'General' started by mikee, Nov 25, 2011.

1. mikee

mikee New Member

For Monica Hart:

Thank you for introducing me the John Field catalog. I have been tryng to track new recordings of him. Yours posted Nov. 20 as noted:

20-11-2011 Monica Hart Field 3:44 Nocturne No.15 in D minor

raises a question. From the information I have on Field's Nocturnes, Nocturne No. 13 is in D minor, and Nocturne No.15 is in C major. Are my sources wrong?

I find it hard to believe the breadth of you posted recordings. Your technique is beautiful. Keep 'em coming.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thank you for the nice words, mikee! :)

In my book, no. 13 in is C Major, and in the contents at the beginning of the book, it says that no. 15 is in F Major, when in fact it is in D-minor. What is very weird to me, is that I changed the last chord in my recording of no. 15. My brain somehow thought there was a sharp sign in front of the F and so I played a nice, pretty D-major chord there, which of course changed the entire feel of the piece. It's supposed to be a D-minor chord which then makes the piece end in sadness. I really can't understand why I did that - strange things have been happening lately. But the good news is that because you brought my attention to no. 15, I found my mistake and have just now re-recorded the ending and corrected that last chord. So I'm thanking you big time!! :D

3. mikee

mikee New Member

Thank you for clearing that up. It is interesting that so few of the recordings that I have found, recognize the Nocturne No. 15 as in D minor.
    Before writing you, I did a quick check using Amazon Records web-site of available recordings of his Nocturnes. Of the six artists I found, five list the No. 15 as in C major (John O'Conor, Noel Lee, Miceal O'Rourke, Benjamin Frith, and Roberte Mamou). Only Pietro Spada lists it as D minor.
    I will now listen to the revised No. 15. Thanks again.
    Mikee

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You got me worried that perhaps I was wrong so I did a little checking too. Turns out that editions vary as to their numbering system. Many of them list the D-minor nocturne (my no. 15) as no. 13. Therein lies our confusion! My book is a Kalmus edition.