Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Erik Satie's Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poire

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by RichNocturne, Dec 23, 2007.

1. RichNocturne

RichNocturne Member Piano Society Artist

Piano teacher, GA at Ball State University. Curre
    Last Name:
    Anatone
    First Name:
    Richard
    This is a recording of myself and Marco Leclerc at my recital, with selections from Erik Satie's Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poire. The movements are:
    1. Maniere de commencement - Marco plays melody
    2. Enlevé - Marco plays melody
    3. Brutal - I play melody

If you're not familiar with this piece, or other Satie stuff, I strongly recommend getting the complete piano works online...I was able to find a 5 disk collection for 20 dollars.

Hope you guys enjoy
    Rich

Satie - Three Pieces in the Shape of a Pear

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    it sounds a lot like his Gnossienes. What piano make was used?

3. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Satie

I agree with Juufa. The first one sounds like a variation on one of the Gnossiennes. Sorry I can't remember which one. I've never heard these before. Thanks.

4. RichNocturne

RichNocturne Member Piano Society Artist

Piano teacher, GA at Ball State University. Curre
    Last Name:
    Anatone
    First Name:
    Richard
    Concert D Steinway was used for this. The first movement is a lot like his Gnossiennes; the bass line is used a lot in his piano pieces.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well done. It is my belief that Satie is rather overrated, but he sure had a lot of influence on his contemporaries, and without him the French music scene would not be the same. I liked the third item the best, both musically and technically. The second item is a bit ragged in places and doesn't quite hop and bounce along like it should - I imagine this is difficult and needs a lot of practising together.

6. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    It certianly reminds me of the third gnossienne... Quite a bit... :shock:

But at the same time, I hear bits and pieces from the 1st gnossienne as well. Perhaps the second one is hidden in there as well... I just haven't noticed it yet.

It certianaly seems like more than mere conicidence though. But it's a good thing, because I love the gnossiennes!
    :D
    I really enjoyed these recordings, which, in my opinion, show that even when Satie is writing in a humerous manner, his works are still serious compositions, deserving a high place in 20th and 21st century music!

This recording merely serves as yet another example as to why Satie is my homeboy... 8)

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I've put this up under one track, but I think it would have been better to have these as separate tracks.

8. robert

robert Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Stahlbrand
    First Name:
    Robert
    Extremely well done and I get more and more impressed from each recording I hear from you.

Satie may be overrated in pure compositional skills and lacked a formal training but on the other hand, he was a trend setter and a acted as a source of inspiration for much of the music and composers of his days. That is most admirable and one may like or not like his music but he will always hold a strong position for his individual style and independent inventions.

Looking on him today, his music does not bring the sensation it once did and the music is not time independent as for example Bach's music in many ways are. I think one should time travel to the early 20:th century of Paris when listening to his music and you succeed to put me under that spell with your interpretation.