Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

editing on Linux

Discussion in 'General' started by StuKautsch, Feb 21, 2015.

1. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Anyone here do their editing on Linux?
    After my next round of recording - probably next month - I want to move my desktop to Linux. For several reasons, it's the machine I've always done my 'sound' work on. (There's something odd about hooking a laptop up to a large sound system, and I'm not sure that a laptop would have the necessary power anyway. Also, my laptop's sound card is burnt.)

But I'm a newcomer to the Linux world and don't know what's available. (BTW: I started my software career as a Unix programmer, so I'm not new to the 'idea' of Unix, just to this avatar.)

Any comments would be welcome, particularly those pointing to software for sound reproduction and editing. Thanks.

2. hreichgott

hreichgott New Member

Audacity is probably what you want, at least to start with. Easy for a newbie to figure out, and non-newbies seem to recommend it a lot too.
    Ubuntu Studio is a form of Linux that's meant to work well for audio and video production.

3. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Thanks, Heather. Audacity is what I've used on Windows, and it's nice to hear that they have ported to Linux. I'll check it out to be sure that I use a version of the OS that's friendly to them and other sound stuff. (Sound will be the big application for the PC, as well as learning Linux itself.)