DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 825

Edirol nice-to-know

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by techneut, Jan 29, 2008.

1. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Recently we had some more discussions about the Edirol recorders, I mentioned having problems, and Monica pointed out it was likely the power adapter being broken.

After a discussion with a hardware-savvy colleague today, I understand a bit more about that and though it may be good to share the knowledge.

The Edirol power adapter is a so-called "switching adapter", meaning it does not contain a transformer (as conventional adapters do), but a high-frequency circuit which breaks up the mains AC into a 3-volt DC. Now, it seems to be a known fact - though I had no idea - that this type of adapter cannot stand being plugged in the mains while the consuming device is off, or even unconnected. That will kill them sooner or later, and now I understand why mine is broken. I did use to leave it plugged in for days, while the Edirol was lying somewhere else.

So, I you have an Edirol, or other device with a switching adapter, take heed of this. Maybe it's
    in the manual (must RTFM.....) but still I think there should be a dirty great big warning sticker on the adapter. Nowhere a word, though :x Is probably how the manufacturers earn their money.
    Having said that, I must admit it does say "switching adapter" on the label.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I don't know why I never read this earlier...

So dragging that black box thingy up and down the stairs was not the cause of my broken adapter. Good to know - and I'll unplug it too for now on.

Mine doesn't. Unless it's that teeny, tiny lettering that I cannot see even with my reading glasses on.

3. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Maybe it was. There's no way to know. Maybe this type of power supply is more vulnerable to shocks too. I got myself a replacment one (just a general-purpose 3V 1000mA adapter) and I will surely take good care of it.

4. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Before I purchased my $50 plug, I searched my house for another adapter that could possibly work on the Edirol. None of them fit, so I thought I had no choice. Wrong again.... :x

5. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well, a 3V 1000mA (low voltage but large current) adapter is not all that common. I got one by mail order, an universal model with multiple voltages and multiple connector jacks. It seems to work fine, but cost me close to 40 euros (incl. shipping) which is actually more than the 50 bucks you paid for the Roland replacement.

6. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    40 Euros is the same as 58 dollars, but who's counting...