Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Dvorak - Scottish Dances, op.41

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Chaotica, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    This is quite a strange set of 15 pieces. I simply don't know what they are for. Technically, most of these are on the level of an advanced beginner, but they are clearly intended to be played all in a row, which makes it more than eight minutes long. I don't think a beginner or a child would learn all of these without getting bored. On the other hand, I think the music is a bit too simple to be played publicly by an advanced player. I recorded them nevertheless.

I've done them in separate tracks (except for no. 8 and 9, which are tied together) and put them together into one file, I hope that is okay. I fear I couldn't record them all in a row with an acceptable result (would be quite an extra work... :wink: ).

Comments appreciated, as always!

Dvorak - Scottish Dances Op.41

2. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Dvorak

You played these very well: good dynamics and just the right amount of rubato for me. I've never played these pieces before, but they don't sound that simple.

To me it's not how easy a piece is to play, but how well it is played. I believe these short works would be worth performing by any pianist. I also believe that often the simplest things in life are the most wonderful.

These are not posted as separate tracks on my computer. Question: Do the facilitators prefer a set of pieces, each 40 to 90 seconds long, to be posted together or separately? Just wondering.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Excellent use of dynamics. Well executed although you recorded them individually.

Sheet music:

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Certainly not vintage Dvorak, but charming and worth listening to. It is good to see someone is making a case for Dvorak, as he was a better piano composer than he is usually given credit for. I am still peeved that you beat me to it :wink:

You do an exellent job - even more so than usual. Very well executed technically as well as interpretatively. Like many people here, you get better with each recording. I did not know these pieces, so I have no detailed comments. All sounds great to me.

About separate tracks vs. one single track : We have no rule for that. If a cycle consists of mainly very short items under one opus number, it makes sense fo record them in one track. I recently did that with cycles by Grieg and Bartok. It is certainly far less work for us that way :) I am not sure how long all these dances are, but it's fine like this. Of course it's ok to record separately and then stick them together, I think we all do that.

5. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    These are up the site. As is the sheet music (thanks Julius).

6. Chaotica

Chaotica New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Lebenstedt
    First Name:
    Jan-Felix
    Thank you for your answers! I still don't know the "intention" of these pieces (if they aren't only one single piece), but they are fun to play and I think some of the subjects could be used for longer works, for sure. I believe no. 5 and 13 (beginning at 1:59 and 6:33) are my favourites.

7. John Robson

John Robson New Member Piano Society Artist

Retired
    Last Name:
    Robson
    First Name:
    John
    Sheet music

Juufa, I'm sure everyone is grateful for your generous postings of sheet music. I'm just curious as to where you get all of the scores. I don't mean to be nosy, I was just wondering. Thanks.

8. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    I have two DVD's with about 1GB of .pdf files of sheet music. Ah the wonderful world of eBay :?