DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2018-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 135
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Does anyone have a handy list of piano techniques and explanations?

Discussion in 'Technique' started by Bansisingh, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Bansisingh

Bansisingh Member Trusted Member

Last Name:
    singh
    First Name:
    Bansi
    I have been playing piano for the past 9 years, and I have reached the point where I want to play higher-level pieces. However, every time I sit down to tackle a piece, I always come across certain passages with a piece of musical enigma that takes me a while to figure out. While it's fun in it's own right while playing the piece, I usually can't imitate the same technique in another piece without going through the process again. (SURE, it's easier, but it's still something that's not hammered into the brain until after 3 pieces or something).

As an Anime fan, I love listening to Animenz's transcriptions. I recently came across this Facebook post by him, where he ranked his top 10 difficult pieces. What was interesting about this post is that he explained why they were difficult and attached an image showing the specific technique and what it is. (For example, under his Unravel, he mentioned these techniques with an image of a few bars with that techinique.)

My question is whether a comprehensive list of piano techiniques exists. This list should have an example of the technique and a tutorial on how to learn/play that specific technique. The list could be ordered by difficulty or use or whatever category comes up.