Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Digital keyboard recordings

Discussion in 'General' started by MindenBlues, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: digitals

>
    I know nothing about editing or midi files and all of those other gimmicks used to "fix" some recordings. I would probably be tempted to "cheat" if I knew how to. But I'm just an old fart who enjoys the old-fashioned acoustical pianos.

Hi John,
    I agree with your considerations:
    1) in absolute, theorical better condition, tha acustical are the best.
    2) often, in the concrete life, a good digital permit to work (practise, playing and recording)
    with some advantages.

>
    I do hope that those members who edit out wrong notes, or change the tempo, and such using electronic tools are honest enough to divulge that information.

And this is a good question.
    My recording technique:
    from audio out of the piano directly to the PC.
    I use "Total recorder" software to help myself (no problem to admit):
    I record different versions of not less than 2 minutes parts of music of a piece (or the music there is on two pages, my problem is that I play seeing the score), then I choice the preferred
    and paste them. Some examples: one Scarlatti sonata with 2 "takes", my Polonaise.Fantaisie
    are 4 "takes", shorter pieces with an unique "take".
    My idea is that my recordings must be an image of my pianism: in a very relaxed and happy
    moment, in a moment choosen by me, but an image of my pianism.
    I do not use other editing skills, but I have a good opinion of the ones (the best IMHO:
    John Lewis Grant. A rare example of MIDI pianism that sounds less MIDI than many celebated pianists) which use a decleared, strong MIDI editing, if they research (and it is the Grant's case)
    a creative and "human" way to control the parameters of an interpretation.
    But it is not my way: I prefer this softer (but very useful if I will to play and to record an high number of the pieces I love) kind of editing.

All best,
    Sandro.

P.S.

Excellent your Brahms, IMHO.

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris

I do on occasion cut out a wrong note or passage or a hesitation, when it is easy to do so. More often than not though, it only makes things worse and I have to leave it as is. I also occasionally paste parts of tracks together. It gets less though and my aim is to avoid it altogether.
    On two occasions I have decreased the volume of a crucial chord that came out far too loud, but I feel rotten about that and will not do this it anymore. I'd never manipulate the pitch, or insert notes, or tricks like that.

3. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf
    For me almost the same as with Chris - here and there I cut/paste the piece together from 2 takes, on larger pieces, and also cut a prelude and fugue from WTC together instead playing the fugue immediately after the prelude. Because I usually play a piece like a prelude several times in a row and select afterwards which take I use, same for the fugue.
    I never did any dynamic editings or pitch manipulations or something else beside normalizing the volume to standard volume and adding reverb (what often makes the thing not better either).

4. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Since it's "True Confessions" time - I'm getting better at cut and paste, and on pieces that are more than three pages, I usually have around ten takes because it takes me half a day to record and I never get one single good one. I also one time tried to manipulate the dynamics on a particular phrase, but then noticed that when you do that, the background "hiss" or "static" changes from the surrounding sound and it's a dead giveaway, so I won't be doing that again. Tried to once edit out a mistake and erased half the recording so won't be doing that, either. There...I feel better, now. :)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> Since it's "True Confessions" time -........

:) It's really so.....

It seems that all you, Olaf, Chris and me are using a similar quantity and kind of editing tools.
    I think this is a good measure, and I hope we'll be absolved...... :wink:

All best,
    Sandro

6. MindenBlues

MindenBlues New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Schmidt
    First Name:
    Olaf

Sandro, everyone has maybe different opions on where cheating starts and ends. To cut and paste a part of an audio take from another take is maybe not the most honest matter, but it seems to be done in professional recordings and also from some of us here, also in my case I did on some recordings. But at least the thing was played that way on the piano.

However, a MIDI edited file is something what I personally would call a real fake if it is not clearly mentioned that it is done. Because the result steems not only what the hands have performed on the keyboard, it steems also from the much more easy (but has nothing to do with artistical work on the piano) handy editing - wrong note replacements, dynamic adding, speed changing and so on and so on.

And since you mentioned those MIDI works by J.L.Grant, e.g. his WTC recordings, I really regret that they are listed as "normal" recordings (it is mentioned that it is MIDI work, but not cleary separated enough from real recordings, IMHO). I also don't like his takes - it sounds typical MIDI like to me - cold, bloodless, steril, unreal perfectly. Nothing for the heart, so I think - but that is what is music all about. So it misses the main thing what is needed to be good music - it comes not from heart and therefore goes not to heart. Highly personal opinion of course!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

>
    And since you mentioned those MIDI works by J.L.Grant, e.g. his WTC recordings, ....

But I agree at 99% with your considerations.
    Only IMHO these Grant Bach recording are different from the common MIDI files as you and
    I know (and do not love) them.

All best,
    Sandro.