Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Debussy: Preludes book 2

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by neural, Mar 28, 2016.

1. neural

neural New Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Hi - new member here from London, UK. Usually I'd lurk on a forum for a while before posting, but this looks like such a wonderful place (and in need of support) so I thought I'd introduce myself now. I've done more accompanying than solo playing over the years; my solo repertoire is very small indeed. I haven't played much at all for the last ten years or so, but lately I've realised that playingis an important part of my life that I've been neglecting and have started to practise again over the last few weeks - I'm looking at Albéniz's Iberia and have got the notes of Evocación and El Puerto under my fingers, next job El Albaicín.

The last time I made a recording was about ten years ago, though I can probably start recording at home when I have something worth recording! For now I've attached Les fées sont d'exquises danseuses from the second book of Debussy's Preludes, a live recording without edits so excuse occasional fluffs.

I'd be happy to comment on others' recordings if that would help, though I have no experience in doing so and certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert... I'm not sure if it's better etiquette to comment first and post recordings later, or vice versa - happy to take advice! -- Jonathan.

Attached Files:

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Welcome to Piano Society, Jonathan! :)
    Your recording sounded like you played it well. The sound was a little distant, though....like your mics were too far away from the piano. It takes a bit of trial and error to figure out the best mic placement (and input level).

Before adding you to our list of members, we request that you submit three recordings, preferably of varying styles/composers.

As far as critique other recordings, it would be great if you wanted to start doing that right away. Some people respond with detailed critiques, and others just say something in general. You don't have to be an expert, either.

3. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hello, Jonathan

And welcome to Piano Society! We also have many forums as you probably noticed. You'll find that a number of them are quite interesting. Also, as you mentioned, the artists each have a sufficient "bio", so you'll probably want to work on that when you have time. Most are less than a page. My own is this one: April, D., but there are many more good examples there.

Do not be concerned about a small repertoire. I have the opposite problem. At my age I cannot memorize anymore.

I listened to your Debussy. I've recorded a half dozen or so from Preludes Book 1, but nothing to date from Book 2. So it was great to hear your playing "Les fees...." I thought it was excellent! You know how to put a piece across to your listeners.

I hope that you'll enjoy Piano Society.

David

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Jonathan,
    and have a warm welcome to Pianosociety also from me! :)
    I have listened to your recordings with score, because I´m also more familiar with the preludes of book I, which I have played completely, from book II have played only some few up to date, and "Les fées sont déxquises danseuses" counts not to them.
    I also think, that´s a quite excellent recording concerning the playing and interpretation. The sound-quality is a bit swimmy, but on the other hand that fits to Débussy up to a certain level, though I wished some more clearness at some places.
    But I think, there is no doubt, that we should accept this recording. So this recording is ten years old? I think, in every case we should get two more actual recordings of you, like Monica still said.
    I´m looking forward to them. Meanwhile feel free to listen and to comment on other members recordings. We are very glad to get new members here and to have more activity again on our site. I wish you a lot of pleasure with this site and that you will get many inspirations and useful advices. And yes, if you will post two more recordings, you should also post a biography of yourself, like David still said to you.

5. neural

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Hi Monica, David and Andreas, thanks for the welcome and the kind comments! I agree the recording is a bit distant - it was made live at a concert so we couldn't get the mics as close as we'd have liked. When I have a moment I'll upload a few other pieces; they'll all be old recordings for now but I'm hoping to record the pieces I'm learning now soon. I fear that the last ten years have not seen an improvement in my technique as I've done very little playing...

Thanks for the encouragement re: commenting on others - will do! I hope I can keep up my motivation both to practise and to contribute to the forum.

Jonathan.

6. neural

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Just for good measure, here's another one from the same concert. I think it cuts through the woolly recording a bit better.

Attached Files:

7. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    That´s also a good and acceptable recording. So, together with your other submissions here I think, if the other admins have no objections, we can accept you as a new member! Have a warm welcome from my side once more! But it would be very nice to get an actual recording by you as soon as possible, because we are also interested how you play now in the present. ;) And the most important: we will need a biography of you, which you will have to write yourself, of course. For examples check out the other artists pages here. I will create an artist page for you as soon as I will have your biography.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  8. neural

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Biography written. I'll give some thought to an avatar picture!

9. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Jonathan,
    what is that on the avatar picture?Looks like an emblem or something like that...
    Richard has created your new member profile page and you are also mentioned under "artists", of course.
    I have uploaded all your recordings and added links under your biography to them in your profile page under personal details. Check all the links, please. Go to composers, Debussy, Chopin and Ireland and look, if the links to your recordings work. From your profile page you should be linked to each special composers section, f.ex. Chopin- etudes, Debussy-preludes, Ireland-miscellanous.
    Give me feedback concerning the links, please.
    And now enjoy your new membership and make us happy with being very active and commenting on other members recording. You already made a good start here! I´m looking forward to an actual recording of you and we all hope to listen to it soon. ;)