Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Debussy : Images Book 1

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by MarkB, Sep 29, 2009.

1. MarkB

MarkB Member Piano Society Artist

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBPiano
  2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    These are up, Mark. Sounded nice to me.

But please, please, please next time use a lower kbps number (bit rate)! These are all 320 and make the files huge, which then takes me a long time to process. (I've been sitting here forever, and they're still loading!) We request something lower than 192 kbps.

(Chris - we should require all members to sign an agreement stating that they have read the recording guidelines. :wink:)

3. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Congratulations on a good and solid performance of this demanding set ! I believe this to be among Debussy's finest piano output, and you are up to the task.

I liked the Reflets best, even if it is not quite as shimmering and iridescent as it can be in the hands of the greats. The Hommage is a bit lacking in depth to my ears, a bit on the literal side, but still very good. After that, the Mouvement came as a bit of a disappointment, being too slow and too dogged. These shimmering triplets should really whirl away much faster and lighter, while still being completely even. I know, easier said than done...

So in the end, these are quality recordings, but personally I'd not be totally satisfied with the Mouvement even though it is largely note-perfect.

4. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes, between 128 and 192 will do.

Having read them might not be sufficient :)
    W should be draconic and reject everything that is not conform the rulez. It may well come to that once I can ever get myself to rewrite the guidelines for naming and ID3 tagging for the second time :roll: I want to automate things much more than they are now.

5. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I'm no expert in Debussy, so I can't say much...

but you know...
    there is something I noticed these days...
    Villa-lobos clearly was influenced by Debussy in his early piano works (like Três Marias), but this Mouvement influenced the GREAT MAJORITY of his piano works. I'd say that this "Mouvement" is much more of Villa-lobos than Deuussy.
    heehhe

6. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    You don't have to rewrite them, remember? (look at old emails)

7. MarkB

MarkB Member Piano Society Artist

Chartered Engineer
    Last Name:
    Budd
    First Name:
    Mark
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkBPiano
    Hello,

thanks for the comments.

Dear PianoLady, I'm very sorry about the bit rate. I won't do it again, honestly !

However, it is worth noting that if you click on the main "Announcement: Submissions and recording tips" entry on the Audition Room page you get presented with the following sentence :

If you are checking back quickly and see that statement, you may be tempted not to go any further and no maximum is quoted. I think you should either remove the "at least 128kbps" statement (which means people will have to read further in all circumstances) or perhaps add "and no more than 192kbps".

Techneut said :
    I'm sorry to disappoint, but, you are right, it is easier said than done ! Playing the triplets quicker in the outer sections isn't too much of a problem but the problem comes (for me anyway) in bars 85 to 106 which are not easy to play at the same tempo as the triplet sections so, something had to go to keep it balanced which, in this case, is the overall tempo. Oh well.........

Thanks again Techneut for your constructive comments.

Mark.

8. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That should certainly be stated. Funny, I thought I'd added that a while ago :? Maybe not. All this should be much clearer and more verbose of course.

Welcome as always :wink: I've played these 3 often (though not recently) and I know how deceptively hard they are, even the innocuous sounding Hommage. You did a good job.

9. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    I think it's written in two different places in PS, because I remember reading that the rate should not be higher than 192 (and this was over a year ago, in my first submissions)