Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Debussy : "Brouillards" (Prélude II/1)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Chauvineau, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Chauvineau

Chauvineau Member Piano Society Artist

astronomer
    Last Name:
    Chauvineau
    First Name:
    Bertrand
    live recording (Japan July 2006) Piano Yamaha S6

Attached Files:

2. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Bertrand,
    Last month I have listened all your Debussy pieces. I won't comment them specifically, but they are all very nicely played, with both technical perfection and great feeling and atmosphere. Congratulations ! My only complaint deals with the level of compression which looks to me very strong, and, at least for certain files, a lack of reverberation (but it might be your choice not to add anyone while doing the mastering of your recordings).
    Now, I will upload this first one. As an example, I have changed the title and the tags to stick with the site standard, which is detailed here (see attached file). I am kindly asking you to do the same job for all the files you want us to upload. As a matter of fact, administrators are not expected to shape the files, only to upload them, which is yet a notable amount of work.
    Regards, and thanks for these very unique recordings,

François

P.S.: the recording appears on the Debussy's Preludes page. As for your Artist page, Richard told me it is up to you to update it. You should receive instructions for that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Chauvineau

astronomer
    Last Name:
    Chauvineau
    First Name:
    Bertrand
    Hi François,
    thank you for your supporting comments on Debussy!
    About the names of the files: yes, I was wrong in the names of my 10 first posts, since then I did not know that there is a rule for the namings. Then Monica posted a thread to remind the rule (you also sent me the information at about the same time). I then replied to Monica to ask her how to change the name of a posted file, if it is possible. Monica answered me that a solution could be to delete the existing thread, and to create a new one with the same file, but properly named (if I did not misunderstood her suggestion!). This possiblility has nevertheless the drawback that all the previous correspondance would be lost ... I understand from your post that in fact it is possible to repost the same file (but properly named) in the same thread. This solution seems better to me since then nothing is lost. I will do this now with the 9 other files, currently improperly named. Thank you for the suggestion, and also to have made this for "Brouillards".
    On the other hand, it seems that you also suggest me to rename the Scriabin's file "Vers la flamme". For this case, I don't understand, since I named the file scriabine-72-chauvineau, that follows the rule, this poem having the opus number 72 ...?
    Am I wrong somewhere?
    Whatever the case, many thanks for the work you do as an administrator.
    Best, Bertrand

4. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hi Bertrand,
    In fact, a .mp3 file comes with two types of identification:
    - the file name, like 'debussy-preludes-2-1-chauvineau.mp3' and the tag;
    - the tag is a more detailed identification, which appears when you right-click on a file, then you go on "Propriétés/Détails" (for the French version of Windows).
    If you do that on the file I have reshaped, you'll see that I have entered the name, the composer, the player, the source (Pianosociety.com), the year and the music type ('Classical').
    If you click on the file to listen to the music, for instance with Windows Media, you will see the content of the tag displayed on the screen while you hear the music.

Tags are a way to struggle against music dematerialization (huh, not sure it exists in English, but it does in French !). When people will download your recordings, and put them in their mobile phone, mp3 player or anywhere else, they will be recalled about what is the piece, who is playing and so on, which is good I think ! This is why PS asks the artists to stick to this rule of providing tags.

For generating the tags, there are several tools. I am personnaly using mp3tag that you can download for free here.

Have a good sunday,

5. Chauvineau

astronomer
    Last Name:
    Chauvineau
    First Name:
    Bertrand
    thank you for all these explanations, François! Clearly, I missed a lot of useful information!
    I will try to do what should be done soon. I will check all the files I have posted up to now.
    Best, Bertrand

6. jordanr

jordanr Administrator Staff Member

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    Bertrand,

Please let us know if you need help updating your Artist page to reflect your recordings on Piano Society.

Richard

7. Chauvineau

astronomer
    Last Name:
    Chauvineau
    First Name:
    Bertrand
    Hi Richard,

thank you for your proposition to help me. Indeed, I have now a bit work to do. François has uploaded some of the pieces I have submited during these last weeks I have now to upgrade my homepage accordingly, making the hyper-text links to go directly from my page to the corresponding recordings.
    However, I dont know how to proceed to update my home page ... I didn't find the link on the Piano Society site (from my page or somewhere else ...) to do this ... Would you mind giving me a link where I could get all the useful information? Thank you in advance for your help.
    I will benefit the opportunity to correct a mistake in the first name of one of my teachers: Ani, and not Any ...

Best, Bertrand

8. jordanr

jordanr Administrator Staff Member

Last Name:
    JORDAN
  9. neural

neural New Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

hospital doctor
    Last Name:
    Knibb
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Hi Bertrand - I enjoyed Brouillards very much. You hear a more Romantic style in the piece than I do, but you capture the eerie-ness very well especially in the section in octaves, and your use of silence is bold and interesting.

I love the Debussy preludes and will make time to listen to your other recordings as soon as I can. Thanks for posting them.