DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 755

crappy video

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, May 3, 2008.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sorry, but I’m really bummed out about my performance in a sort of neighborhood recital that was held about 5 hours ago this evening. I was in charge of it, which makes it even worse because I totally bombed. I sucked! I made so many mistakes, I was so nervous, I looked so stupid - I don’t know why I even bother, anymore. I can’t stand it!

What kills me the most is that I know this piece backwards and forwards and could probably play it with my eyes closed if there wasn’t an audience. I should probably throw in the towel as far playing in public goes. It used to be easier, but as I get older, it gets worse. I hate it! I’m putting this up (temporarily) to see if any of you have ever had such a bad performance as this, or if you can offer anything that will help to get over the aggravation and despair I am left with now. Seriously, I am so distressed. Right now, I hate playing the piano.

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That was not to bad really. A bit hesitant but nothing really horrible except for some occasions where you corrected yourself. In performance it is probably better that if you make a mistake, you just play right on as if nothing happened. By correcting it you only draw extra attention to it.

Very nice dress BTW.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Invite me to your recitals!!! By doing so, my playing skills will make you look like Liszt-Rubinstein-Rachmaninov incarnate :twisted:

4. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Still feeling 'blue'...

And I know that, but did it anyway. What a dope I am.

That's about the only thing that went right. :(

Thanks anyway, Chris and Julius.

5. bclever

bclever New Member

I know how you feel. I feel that way about music almost every day. However you should
    consider this: your musicality has reached such a level that even though you think you bombed
    it still sounded really freaking good.

6. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes I'd go along with that. Mistakes happen, but you need to concentrate on what is good rather tHan what is bad. Give yourself some credit !

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's what my kids and my parents said. But I can't. I know this piece so well and have played it perfectly a hundred times. I got so comfortable with it that I could totally loose myself in the music, literally feel the drama coursing through my veins, pour the passion out through my fingertips, you know...really, really get into it. But did any of that happen last night? No. It was awful! There was nothing good in that performance. That's why I'm so disappointed.

Thanks for trying.

8. demonic_advent

demonic_advent New Member

Last Name:
    Mansi
    First Name:
    Chris
    Well, after watching it, I only noticed two detectable errors. The rest sounded really good!!!

And to make you feel a bit better... once I get my DVD of the arts festival I played at a week or so ago, I'll show you the video of me playing. Hard to get worse than that...

I was playing through a really good interpretation of Scriabin's C# Minor etude... when suddenly I forgot how the coda went! I even had the music out in front of me... but it didn't help. I just ended up not playing it, and inventing a little something in it's place. It was PATHETIC.

And then my Satie piece was littered with little slip ups too...

Trust me... you'll feel better after seeing me.

And you shouldn't feel bad to being with!
    I still think it sounded great!

What piece is that, by the way? I'd be intrested in learning more about it, as I really liked it.

9. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Sorry about your bad experience, Chris M.

Misery loves company. Maybe we should start a thread about 'Your Worse Piano Experience', or 'Sad Times at the Piano'.

The piece I played is by Granados. It's from a set entitled Escenas Romanticas and this is the first piece in the set. It's a great little piece - not too long, sounds harder to play than it is (usually :x ) and has room for all the passion you can put into it. I highly recommend it.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wait... I'll make a list of all my terrible performances. You'll be shocked! :wink:

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1. Chopin - minute waltz... I think I was 12 years old or so. I didn't know it was the minute waltz, so I played it adagio :)roll:) , because I liked it that way and my teacher didn't say I should play it faster. Oh, and I made a lot of mistakes of course. :oops:
    2. Some years ago I played violin in the orchestra of the music school. Romeo and Juliet. It was really, uhm, fun. Throwing candy at the percussionist during the performance. :p
    3. What about last week? I played violin, some kind of pianotrio composed by Bridge. I really didn't like that piece of music! (The cellist couldn't play Piazolla, so we had to play Bridge. :x :( ) We all made a lot of mistakes and in the end I was playing solo (I wasn't meant to be playing solo, but both the pianist and cellist made a mistake and got so confused that they stopped playing. The public actually didn't notice it and thought it was written like that! :lol: ), I was just hoping the pianist and cellist would be able to play the last three notes (and they did play them).

Now I must think... I'm quite sure I had more terrible performances... :p

12. epf

epf New Member

Author/Computer Geek
    You know, it's amazing what a few mistakes will do to one's sense of self worth (not to mention one's ego). You know you made mistakes and they stand out in your mind. However, 99.9% of the people who heard you will remember how well you played, not the few mistakes you made. You're too hard on yourself.

(So sayeth the guy who rushed to fix a recording before anybody heard the mistake in it!)

Ed

13. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    :lol: :lol:

Been there, done that (many times) :lol:

Ok, well, the cloud is lifting. Like I said before, misery loves company. Anyone else have any sad/funny stories?

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Last year in my performance at my teacher's annual pupil concert, I had to restart a passage in the middle of Rachmaninov's Lilacs as it had gone so wrong there was no playing over it. To add insult to injury I even muttered 'sorry'. How pathetic can one get ! The rest went fine though but this was a humiliating moment.

15. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Oh, yes, that's a good one. Pretty pathetic, indeed. :lol:

After that moment happened, were you able to get back 'in the zone'? Your fingers played on like usual, but was your head in the music? That's a problem of mine. After a big goof-up, I'm in a sort of stunned frame of mind and feel like I barely have control of things anymore. And also my overall dynamics drop considerably.

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    As said, all went fine after that. I usually get back in the groove quickly even after mistakes.
    Also last year I performed at my organ teacher's annual pupil concert and produced some pretty weird bars in Bach's first trio sonata (which I should not really have performed at all yet, to be honest) and he complimented me about playing straight through the mistakes as if nothing had happened. It was a bit scary though. Same teacher also tipped me about only performing something once you find it really easy. Now that takes discipline, as one always want to show off a difficult piece just learnt !

17. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    But did he mean perform an easy piece, or wait to perform a certain piece until you know it so well that it has become easy? I think next time I may have to play an 'easy' piece.

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    The latter, obviously. An 'easy' piece may still be difficult if you do not know it well enough. And a 'hard' piece may become rather easy once you know it well enough and your technical level is far above it. I think the idea is to be totally comfortable with a piece before performing it.

19. rsmullyan

rsmullyan New Member Piano Society Artist

Mathematician, Musician, Magician & Author
    Last Name:
    Smullyan
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Dear Lovely One,

What the devil is the matter with you , berating yourself like that? Both I and my friend who just watched and heard you thought it was excellent! The litttle mistakes were utterly trivial and really didn't detract from the performance. when I showed your message to my knowledgeable friend, he said the best cure for performance anziety is to perform a lot! I hertily agree!

20. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I was.

Because I can play the piece so much better than I did here. And this always happens. I have never performed a piece in public perfectly, and this time I was sure that I had the piece down and would have no problems. It's like I am cursed! If only I could put a curtain in front of the piano and not see any audience.

Raymond, have you ever had a bad performance at the piano, or maybe a funny one?