Thank you to all those who donated in 2015!

DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 595

CPE Bach Prussian Sonata 1

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by MarkieUK, Feb 22, 2012.

1. MarkieUK

MarkieUK Member Piano Society Artist

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Please find enclosed a new, slightly improved version of CPE Bach's Prussian Sonata 1, which could replace my previous recording on this website.

ps would an admin please change the date of the sonata on the web page to 1743 and not 1734? Thanks :)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hi Mark,

Long time no see. What have you been up to all those years ? Except for learning Nielsen's Mignon :mrgreen:

I'm not sure I want to put these up to be honest. I much prefer your original versions, even if they are on the slow side.
    They were recorded on an acoustic, as far as I can hear, or at least they sound like they were, and the playing is polished
    and affectionate. These new ones sound awfully tinny and digital, and I can't say that the playing, while livelier, is a
    whole lot better. I heard several flaws and fumbles that were not apparent in the early versions. Not an improvement, IMO, sorry. I hope
    others here will agree with me (here http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=1429 are the existing versions).

Cheers

Chris

3. jlr43

jlr43 Member

Technical Editor
    I listened to the first and third movements. Though I haven't heard the original recordings, I'd have to basically agree with Chris's evaluation here. The sound and instrument setting on this particular digital recording verge on unpleasant, almost a machine-simulated hybrid of the piano and harpsichord. Besides that, there are quite a few uneven trills, rushings, and passages that don't sound adequately and precisely worked out to me. Nobody minds a few unevennesses, or at least I don't, but I'm finding it difficult to discern a clear rhythmic pulse. It seems that you can do it, but need to focus more on basic polish.

Joe

4. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Are we agreed that these are no improvement on the existing versions ?

5. MarkieUK

MarkieUK Member Piano Society Artist

Student
    Last Name:
    Hopwood
    First Name:
    Mark
    Agreed and comments noted. I'm going to do another recording in due course :)