DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,045
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Couperin - 4eme Ordre des Pièces de Clavecin

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by Francois de Larrard, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Dear All,
    Another Ordre of François Couperin to close the week-end ! This one is quite short (only 4 pieces), all in Fmajor and quite joyful. I enjoyed recording them on the harpsichord.

1. La Marche des Gris-vêtus (the March of the Gris-vêtus or Gray-clad regiment)
    This march is quite parodic. I am playing in unequal eighth notes.

2. Les Bacchanales: Enjouements Bacchiques, Tendresses Bachiques, Fureurs bacchiques (The Bacchanales: Bacchic Revels, Bacchic Caresses, Bacchic Frenzies)
    This piece dedicated to Bacchus, the god of the vine, the feast and the wine. Hence it is a small suite in the suite, with three parts of various movements. The middle one (in F minor) is quite exquisite (to my taste). The last one starts in minor mode, but eventually comes back to the original F major: Bacchus' furor does not last long, provided he gets good wine !

3. La Pateline (The Wheedler or Patelin's Piece)
    "Patelin" means sugary or disingenuous, but I don't fine these feelings really illustrated by the music which is just fresh and nice.

4. Le Réveil-matin (The Alarm Clock)
    This famous one uses alternatively to both hands an octave battery which evoques a clock.

Thanks for listening and commenting !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I listened to these at the weekend and honestly thought I had replied! You definitely have an affinity for this genre. It's not really my area of piano-playing, but your performances of Couperin are consistently persuasive.

3. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Thank you very much Andrew. I failed to convert Chris Breemer to Couperin (Chris never forgot to tell me how insensitive it was to this music in spite of my efforts), but I am pleased to know that a great romantic as you can be at least slightly peaked by this apparently light and superficial music...