DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2018-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 80
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Counterpoint in Sonata

Discussion in 'Composing' started by Caters, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Caters

Caters New Member Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Cheyanna
    First Name:
    Ward
    I found out the Beethoven actually wrote a fugue for a couple of his piano sonatas. When I hear that Beethoven composed a fugue, this particular fugue always comes to mind, the Grobe Fugue he wrote for a string quartet(Yes, its got that MaBig letter that I can't type on my keyboard):

Otherwise, when I hear fugue, there is only 1 composer I think of. Most famous fugues were written by him. Yes, I'm talking about Johann Sebastian Bach. Even his simpler 2 Part Inventions have the basics of a fugue, counterpoint. They have a melody and a countermelody. Bach even composed a fugue for the harpsichord with 6 melodic lines.

Anyway, I am planning to write a sonata in the style of Beethoven with each movement representing a time of day. There are several ways I can add drama to a sonata to make it sound more like Beethoven.

Those are:
    • Dynamic change
    • Change in rhythm
    • Change in tempo
    • Key change
    • Counterpoint
    Right now, I'm just thinking about the first movement which will represent a quiet night. I was thinking of maybe doing a fugue for the development section of the first movement.

Now, I know Bach used relatively simple melodies for his complicated fugues. But how would I go about writing a fugue? I don't analyze classical music(which would really help here). And I can only find 1 analysis of the Toccata and Fugue in D minor, the piece for which I am now learning to play the fugue part. And that analysis is separated into 2 videos, 1 on the toccata and the other on the fugue. And there isn't even a person speaking in those videos, its simply the piece being played and the sheet music having been edited to show things such as unison and countermelodies. And what's more, the analysis is written in Italian. Here is the video of the fugue analysis.

If I can only find 1 analysis of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor(for the full piece anyway), I can only imagine how rare it must be to find an analysis of any of Bach's pieces that have a fugue. And yet I can find an analysis on Beethoven's sonatas very easily and they aren't often written in Italian. They usually are written in English.

So without very many analyses of pieces with fugues written by Bach, how am I going to be able to write a fugue for the development section of the first movement of my sonata?