DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 825

Correct tempo for Mozart's Allegro Vivace

Discussion in 'Technique' started by Chopinesque, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me your views on what would be an acceptable minimum tempo for the first movement of Mozart's Sonata in D Major, K. 311, marked Allegro Vivace.

I understand that the metronome range for Allegro starts at 120, but I can't play accurately at this speed throughout (I think that most professional pianists play this piece at this speed, if not faster). I can manage this movement at about 112, but I have recently played it to a piano teacher and he said I'm way too slow and would fail my diploma exam straight away. What is your view on this?

Many thanks.

2. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Do you own any recordings of this piece? I am quite bad at keeping the rhythm without having heard the piece professionally recorded. So what I do is listen to the big shots play a piece, then I try to match it.

Does this mean that what the professionals play is the correct tempo? Not always, tempo can vary greatly; it can drag on when marked Andante or it can be brief at the same BPM.

For Allegro Vivace I would say 115-125 would be pleasant to the ears given this movement of K311.

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    In my score the first movement is marked, Allegro con spirito.

As far as tempo goes - Yes - sorry, but 112 is too slow. The first line really drags at that tempo. Even 120 seems a little slow until you get to the third line where all the 16th notes kick in. Then it seems just right. That's only my opinion, though.

From 112 to 120 is not so much different. If you can play this accurately and evenly at 112, then maybe you can work your way up the numbers just a little more. :)

4. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Articulation trumps tempo. Play it accurately at a comfortable tempo then very carefully increase the speed, making sure you articulate exactly as Mozart wrote. Don't try to reach a tempo at which the details get muddled.

Pete

5. Chopinesque

Chopinesque New Member

Systems Developer
    You're right, it is Allegro con Spirito (not Vivace) - I don't know what I was thinking of.

Thanks for your replies.