DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2016-12-31
$ 2,500
So far donated
$ 805

"Copying Beethoven"

Discussion in 'General' started by pianolady, Aug 1, 2007.

1. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Thanks to tired fingers/sore wrists, nothing else to do, and pay-per-view cable TV, I watched this movie tonight. Has anybody else seen it? It wasn't bad. The music was great! A lot of symphony #9 was in it, and like always, I cried my eyes out. Doesn't matter if I hear it in church, at school, on a tv commercial - that always happens. (ok, women do that.) And the synchronized conducting scene was very erotic, in my opinion.
    Can't think of the name right now, but I did like the other Beethoven movie better, though. The one with the starry sky at the end - also with Ode to Joy.
    Still, now I'm in the mood for some Beethoven. Maybe tomorrow I'll play around with him on the piano. Feel free to speak up if you have any suggestions.

2. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Jeez, is it dead around here! Before I start practicing Beethoven (?), Chopin (yes), Granados (yes), Rachmaninoff (yes), I thought I'd tell my favorite joke. It's nothing to do with music, but who cares. Nobody's listening/reading, anyway. Sorry if you already know this one.

Ok - A blind man aided by a seeing-eye dog walks into a department store. After a few tentative steps, the man stops, picks his dog up by the tail, and starts swinging the dog high around his head in circles. A sales clerk immediately rushes over and says, “Sir, can I help you?” The man replies, “No thanks. I’m just looking around.”

3. PJF

PJF New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
  4. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    About Beethoven, have you played any of his piano sonatas?

5. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I know, that's really you Pete, right? :lol:

Beethoven - Yes, I have played through some of the popular sonatas. I don't always like every movement so only play the ones I like. But there are probably many, many parts of sonatas I have never seen, let alone played, so I'd be interested in learning which movements of various sonatas you and the others like. Or, if there are smaller works of Beethoven, like the Ecossaise that are just plain fun to play and won't kill me.

6. Cydonia

Cydonia New Member

You mean Immortal Beloved, yep I thought it was an excellent movie. The actors are excellent too in their respective roles.

7. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's it - Immortal Beloved. Thanks, M. I love that one too. Think I'll rent it again tonight. (better get my box of tissues ready)

8. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Sorry to dissapoint, it's not me. But it's a perfect example of why you will never hear me sing!

I can't play the Pathetique with a straight face after that movie. (Kind of an inside joke.)

Monica, try his first sonata in F minor. It's not technically demanding (relatively speaking). To be sure, it has its difficulties!

If you don't have a complete Beethoven Sonatas (recording or sheet music) get one (Schenker or Urtext editions for the Sonatas, not the free-domain copies) , you don't know what you're missing!

Pete

9. PJF

Last Name:
    Fournet
    First Name:
    Pierre
    Speaking of movies, remember Amadeus? Now that was funny and tragic.

10. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Amadeus is a messed up flick....reminds me of A Clockwork Orange but 18th Century style :(

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I liked Amadeus. :oops:

12. Terez

Terez New Member

Student
    WLM:
    terez2727@hotmail.com
    AOL:
    terez2727
    I agree with that.
    I liked it too. But then, I liked A Clockwork Orange...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

> That's it - Immortal Beloved. Thanks, M.

Not bad. My favourite film on music and musicians is "Tout les matins du monde",
    a portrait of Sainte Coulombe (french violist and composer of XVII) and his world.
    I do not like all other "film- musician portraits" of LvB (but not bad, I repeat, "Immortal beloved"), Mozart, Schumann and so on. The things are better IMHO in jazz world, with good portraits
    of Chet Baker ("Let's get lost") and Charlie Parker ("Bird").

All best,
    Sandro

14. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I knew 'Immortal Beloved was around here somewhere. So why am I bringing this back up? Because it was on again last night and made my day. But the movie I'm really excited about is the one I just saw tonight at the movie theater. It's called "Across the Universe". And Wow! Is it good! I loved it. Of course it helps if you are a Beatles fan. It's a movie about a young British man who comes to America in the late 1960's and ends up living with a young American girl and a bunch of other wild characters. The movie is about 80% musical and uses only Beatles tunes. Fantastic.