Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Concerto for solo piano (my composition)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by andrew, Apr 3, 2016.

1. andrew

andrew Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    I have uploaded this in the composition forum, but in fairness I think I would probably also like to add it as a recording submission. It is a one-take recording from a rehearsal session, following a full day rehearsal of various transcriptions; whilst it is pretty technically secure most of the way through please forgive my strange inability to get the melodic line quite right around the 2 min mark. 6 hours playing beforehand wasn't the ideal preparation. I would prefer it to be more nearly perfect (there are a few strange momentary deviations from my score) but it's probably as good as I'll do without multiple takes. I was glad to have the opportunity to record it even under those circumstances. The piano is a Kawai grand; Edirol recorder.

This piece is a solo piano reduction from the full orchestral version of the concerto - a composition which I have worked on and off at during the last six years - indeed previous incarnations of the earlier segments have been posted there. For the sake of convenience perhaps it is best regarded as being in three movements. I had serious writer's block regarding the last movement; I now think it is the best of the three. Despite having provisional orchestration done (complete in the case of the first movement; guideline done for the other two) it's not likely that I'll get to play it with a full orchestra in the near future (which would make the piano part a little bit easier - there are certainly occasions where the pianist is kept busy with representations of multiple instruments).

It has a cyclical nature in the sense that material from the first "movement" is brought back towards the end, and in that certain falling motifs interconnect the different "movements".

I have uploaded the recording as a single file due to the "attaca" nature of the transitions between the movements.

0.00 Allegro deciso - Lento doloroso - Trionfante
    9.09 Lento placido
    14.58 Andante minacciosamente (Dies Irae) - Adagio doloroso (Preghiera dei monaci) - subito molto animato - Tumultuoso - luminoso - Languido - Allegro maestoso (Il ritorno)

The first movement is somewhat Rachmaninov / Warsaw Concerto -esque, with the thematic material derived from the opening falling gesture and the second, more decisive, but also descending motif (it is later transformed into a very different minor key version).

The second movement is perhaps Chopinesque in nature, though my writing was influenced by Liapunov's Nuit d'ete etude. It depicts an intermezzo, a moment of reverie before the storm.

The third movement is the most consciously programmatic of the three. It depicts a violent struggle between good and evil, life and death, or what make of it what you will. It is the only movement in which I have, very deliberately, used specific musical references: the Dies Irae motif, the interval of the tritone to symbolise the Devil, and the Tristan chord to symbolise redemption at the moment of resolutary transformation directed towards the triumphal return of motific material from the first movement. There are praying monks, storms, and visions of the kind of things in Hieronymus Bosch before we reach that moment. The listener of course is free to see it differently, but that was what was in my mind during the compositional process.

This is by far and away the most substantial composition I have ever attempted, so I will certainly appreciate any comments! In addition to the uploaded file, there is a streaming version at:
    https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35/concerto-for-solo-piano

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Rachfan likes this.
  2. Rachfan

Rachfan Active Member Piano Society Artist

Chief Operating Officer, retired
    Last Name:
    April
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Andrew,

I was very impressed hearing your "Concerto for solo piano". One essential is the technique of playing arpeggiated passage work. You breeze right through all of it without a single fumble. Like you, I agree that the third movement is the best. You have several musical references that you mention throughout the piece, and as part of that I enjoy your exciting run-up to the coda. Everything is structured and executed not only in a pianistic sense, but also in the orchestral manner by its very nature. Overall, there are a some references that get a nod here and there, but your creativity is always present too. Congratulation on this wonderful work!

David

3. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks, David. I have thought orchestrally through much of the work, which has helped with the conception of the sonorities. I'm delighted you enjoyed it - it is very much in the romantic genre, but the last movement is probably on the fringes of something more modernistic in nature whilst retaining common points with the sound world of the previous movements.

4. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Andrew,
    that´s a great achievement, I´m deeply impressed! Does exist a score of your composition?
    I have created a Wright-page under composers - pianosociety member composers and I have uploaded your recording there. Check the links, please! For this section I will need a description of your composition. I could take the text you have written here in this thread, but may be you will modify it?

5. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks! I'll write out an altered description later today. Similarly, I'll send you a score shortly, once I've made some edits to it (I'm currently working from an older score with hand-written notes on it).

I'm unable to find my artist page, as it happens. Out of curiosity, I tried to reach yours (and David's), and am getting similar errors eg "Resource not found" or redirecting to the Welcome page. Is this a consequence of migrating the old profiles? In any case, the page which I can get to (by clicking on my forum avatar) doesn't appear to list recordings.

6. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks. I will contact Richard because of your problems with your artist page.

7. jordanr

jordanr Administrator Staff Member

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    Hi Andrew: Your avatar page is your new artist page. You are able to edit it and add links to recordings. I updated your profile/artist page to add the list of recordings. Could you link them to the appropriate Composer pages?

The links to artist pages through out the composer pages still need to be updated. I will work on it some today and see if I can fix all of yours and David's links.

Richard

8. jordanr

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    I worked on this some and believe I have updated the links for Andrew, David, Andreas, Monica, Richard W., and Francois...

I will work on fixing everyone's in the coming weeks.

9. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    It seems my new artist page now exists (the one accessible from the avatar) but it only lists uploaded repertoire, without providing links to the relevant composer or files. (The descriptive text is there, but not the associated hyperlinks?) The links are present on my old pianist page: http://www.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=2819

The link to the file in this thread works fine, thanks Andreas.

10. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Andreas: condensed description for the recording's webpage:

A solo piano reduction from the full orchestral version.

For the sake of convenience it is best regarded as being in three movements. It has a cyclical nature in the sense that material from the nominal "first movement" is brought back towards the end, and in that certain falling motifs interconnect the different movements.

The first movement is somewhat in the manner of Rachmaninov, or less elevately, the famous Warsaw Concerto. The thematic material is derived from the opening falling gesture and the more decisive, but also descending, motif which follows it. The second motif is later transformed into very different minor key versions, whilst the movement concludes with an echo of the opening gesture.

The second movement is perhaps Chopinesque in nature, though the ornamental writing was influenced by Liapunov's Nuit d'ete etude. It depicts an intermezzo, a moment of reverie before the storm.

The third movement is the most consciously programmatic of the three. It is the only movement in which specific musical references have been used symbolically: the Dies Irae motif, the interval of the tritone, and the Tristan chord to symbolise redemption at the moment of transformation directed towards the triumphal return of motific material from the first movement.

11. musicusblau

Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    Hi Andrew,
    thanks for the description. It's up!

12. jordanr

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    We are requesting that artists manage their own links. You can edit our own avatar / artist page by clicking on your username in the top righthand corner of any page and then clicking on "Personal Details." At the bottom you will find the section with your biography and the list of recordings. Please if you can link that list of recordings to the associated composer pages.

I will continue to work on updated all composer page links to properly link to artist pages.

13. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Ok - I had already tried this. I can't see any obvious way to get the links to show up on screen entitled as the file actually being pointed to; I can get Filename, then Link as separate entities but I don't see a way within the editor to embed html links so that it shows up properly. I have, for example, "Bellini-Thalberg - A te, o cara (I Puritani) http://www.pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=1041"

Obviously the two entities should be merged..

I know it can be done because I have a link successfully in my signature, but I can't remember the syntax for creating that form of described hyperlink.

14. jordanr

Last Name:
    JORDAN
    There is an icon that looks like a chainlink above the text area where you are adding the links.

If you highlight the text and then click the chainlink, a popup will appear that prompts you to enter the url you want to link to.
    Capture du 2016-04-07 15:40:03.png

15. andrew

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Wright
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Youtube:
    alkanliszt
    Thanks. Got it now!