Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Concert recordings - Brahms, Nielsen, Berg, Lutoslawski

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by fnork, Sep 8, 2008.

1. fnork

fnork New Member

Thanks for the help, techneut! Soon, videos will come, too. Anyday now :)

2. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hmmm yes, videos....
    We have not really made up our mind what to do about them. It was at one stage decided to allow one 'signature' video per artist only, as we do not have YouTube-like resources. But I think Robert is more lenient with videos. I'll have to leave this to him.

3. fnork

fnork New Member

Here's another Nielsen Chaconne - one week later at a chamber music festival. I also played the Medtner piano quintet on the same concert. Unfortunately with this recording, the piano wasn't as good, and in the middle of the piece you will hear some noise - the "concert hall" where we were playing was having "automatic curtains" which were taken down if there was too much sunlight. Somehow noone fixed this before the concert, and, in the middle of the Chaconne, they went down...in a very quiet part of the piece...heh.

http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=0GUI87LM

So, it's no point to UPLOAD it since the other one is better in most ways, just thought I'd post a different recording of it..

4. fnork

fnork New Member

5. Tobias

Tobias New Member Piano Society Artist

Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Sing
    First Name:
    Tobias
    I just listened to the Nielsen Chaconne - my first encounter with his piano music actually... :oops: I remember there was an article about Nielsen's music in one of the last International Piano issues, but I have skipped it. But I will definitely go back to it after this listening.

Since I had heard (and much enjoyed) your Handel variations before, I had high expectations. And indeed, this is wonderful playing, flawless on the technical side, but also played with much passion and emotionality. And what a great piece! I need to check out some of Nielsen's other piano music now...!

6. sarah

sarah New Member

Here's the Nielsen bio! I apologize for how long it took for me to get it up here - I'm sure you thought I'd been swallowed by a black hole by now. :lol: I hope the bio pleases you. If it does, I'll see what can be done for Elgar next.

Carl Nielsen, one of Denmark’s most beloved musicians and composers, was born on June 9, 1865. As a young boy he was interested in music and managed to learn violin and piano with very little formal instruction. He eventually learned trumpet as well, and because of that skill was able to get an appointment as a military musician with the 16th Battalion at Odense.

A few years later, Nielsen entered the Copenhagen Conservatory of Music on a hard-won scholarship. There he studied violin and music theory. He realized that his great interest was in composition, however, and he began to compose, although Nielson had no formal schooling in that area. Success came slowly. At first he had to supplement his income from composing by performing and conducting. Interest in Nielsen’s music blossomed after several performances of his first symphony, which garnered opportunities and commissions for him. In 1906 Nielsen teamed up with historian Vilhelm Andersen and the result was an opera based on Ludvig Holberg’s comedy “Mascarade.” The project was at first regarded by many as sacrilege, but in the end the opera proved a resounding success with its audiences and Nielson’s popularity and commissions surged skyward.

At the acme of his career Nielsen reached a crisis, one both personal and professional. He began to be attracted to other women other than his sculptor-wife, Anne Marie, and this led to Nielsen’s two illegitimate children and Anne Marie and Nielsen’s separation in 1919. Also, Nielsen’s conducting at the Royal Theatre caused him much conflict with his colleagues and authorities there. Nielsen resigned from his long-held position as a result. And, to crown the crisis, Nielsen suffered a heart attack.

Life began to look up for Nielsen after a time, however. His period of illness reunited him with his estranged wife and their three children, and he again took up his pen. During this time Nielsen wrote his important wind quintet, inspired by a rehearsal he heard of Mozart’s Sinfonia Concertante. He also wrote several concertos for solo wind instruments that have become staples of the repertoire.

Nielsen’s health began to slip again but he refused to slow down, still voraciously composing and conducting his works. This period was very fruitful, yielding several piano piece sets, an organ work, and a couple of cantatas, among other things. While taking part in a production of “Masquerade,” Nielsen suffered several small heart attacks. His condition gradually deteriorated until he was hospitalized on October 1, 1931. He died two days later.

Nielsen left behind numerous fine works. Arguably his most monumental accomplishment was his six symphonies. His two operas, choral works, and numerous songs were also masterful accomplishments in their respective genres. Nielsen wrote several pieces for chamber ensemble and concertos for string and wind instruments as well. Nielsen’s output for solo piano amounted to thirteen opus numbers, written through the course of his life; these pieces are largely rich miniatures in which the composer’s artistic development is wonderfully displayed. Indeed, Nielsen left a breathtaking legacy of magnificent music for future generations to enjoy.

7. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    That's great, Sarah. Thank you! One little thing - I've forgotten your last name :oops: . Please tell me again so I can put your name on the bottom.

8. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    That is a good piece of work Sarah, thanks a lot ! I never knew about his extramarital escapades. The little sod ! Learning all the time here :D

9. sarah

sarah New Member

No problem at all. I go by Sarah Holtz. Thank you very much!