Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Composer: Audition & Showcase

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by musicmacman, Jan 19, 2010.

1. musicmacman

musicmacman New Member

Home Page:
    Miniature No 14: Cascade Liquidoso Op. 24 No. 6 in G flat major
    The Nightmare Before Christmas Op. 23, No. 2

Online Portfolio
    Website

Hi, my name is Dylan Christopher. I have always visited this site, but never actually signed up an account. Today I chose to, and thought I would present two piano pieces I wrote, for your enjoyment and perhaps as my audition for the site. I have linked you to the young composers website where I uploaded them, so you may view the score and/or listen to the pieces.

I hope you enjoy them and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks again.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello Dylan, and welcome to Piano Society.

Becoming a composer/member on our site is not easy. We have to "really" like the presenter's music.

I listened to both your pieces here; the first one I think is too long and seems like you through in all the bells and whistles possible in piano music - it is a bit overkill. But you can really play the heck out of a piano so you are obviously a talented pianist. It's not that I didn't like this piece, it's just too much, that's all. Other people here may feel differently though. I liked your Nightmare piece better although it also went on for just a bit too long, but again, that's just my opinion.

Do you have any current classical piano recordings?

3. RSPIll

RSPIll New Member

Church Musician, Choral Accompanist, Musical Theat
    Hey Dylan,

I enjoyed your compositions. These are well thought out and presented.

You might consider re-recording the "Miniature" since the "panning white noise" (it seemed to go from ear to ear on this system) is a little disconcerting.

I personally found the "Nightmare Before Christmas" a bit more convincing as a whole.

The "Miniature" first seemed a little too grandiose for the title (Rhapsody or some such may be more indicative). It seems to me not quite as tightly conceived as the "Nightmare".

That said, they are both still lovely compositions, and considering that lately, some of the "compositions" that have been presented to the site have been extended new age improvisations, it is refreshing to hear some actual thought and craftsmanship presented.

Scott

4. musicmacman

musicmacman New Member

Home Page:
    The miniature is an earlier piece of a set of 6. This is the last one, that was recorded in concert in the Guild Hall School of Music, London. The pianist was a guest virtuoso who learnt it in 2 weeks off copy. Mateuz (Mataius).

The "Nightmare", was composed during the Christmas holiday period, after I went for a walk at night for a break from studying. I witnessed a fox stalk and kill another animal. Later that night I had a nightmare about the event. I chose to illustrate the nightmare within the music.

I now consider both pieces to be steping stones, and generally just wanted some feed back. I am still studing at the moment and have 4-5 months left till I finish my degree, which is when I will be composing more for myself and commissions.

Being a composer on this site is more of a sideline as I dont think it is paid, but it is a good medium for learned classical/jazz pianists to critique my latest compositions. In a world where traditions are set in stone, this is one of the few places where you can be appreciated for loveing and indulging in somthing considdered archaic.

I'm rambleing now, thanks for listening

5. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Hello Musicmacman,
    Welcome to PS ! I've just listened your two pieces. I'll be frank: I dislike the first one (I found it 'bad taste' and very pretentious), but the second one shows you have a potential... Maybe you could submit some classical pieces to get in the brotherhood, and then provide us with other compositions (but please avoid lounge music !). By the way, I'm sure you should be a pretty good improviser, aren't you ? There is a place for this on this site, but nobody dares to submit anything, which is sad, I think !

6. musicmacman

musicmacman New Member

Home Page:
    out of curiousity what makes it in bad taste and pretentious?

7. nathanscoleman

nathanscoleman New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Coleman
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Howdy Dylan ... Nice to meetcha.

Wow, we're kinda harsh on the new composers ... lol. Although to be fair, we've had a rather long rash of new age submissions, so I would assume everyone else also approaches these submissions with a great sense of trepidation.

In any case, I listened to both ... found them interesting enough that I'd like to listen to more. Are you interested in letting anyone look at the scores?? Private mssg me if so, please. Both pieces were very 'listenable' and obviously showed they weren't just interpretations, but thought-out compositions. And for that, in the very least, I say thank you.

My over-all impression of the two was that they lacked a drive to conclusion. The nightmare, in particular, was quite meandering ... although, to your credit, that does seem to be the effect you were going for ... in my opinion, though, it made the piece lack cohesion. I felt there was a lot more potential in the romantic piece. There were several moments I truly enjoyed, but I'm with Chris in saying that it seemed long for the melodic motif chosen. 'Pretentious and bad taste' is a bit of an overstatement, IMO, but the first piece really does leave one with the impression of the salon pieces so popular in the late 19th century ... but hey, some of those guys made a good living writing them!

So, anyway ... what I'm saying is, I won't run screaming from any subsequent posts of yours! :wink:

8. musicmacman

musicmacman New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you, I will post all of my piano music eventually over time, recorded by My self for composers' interpretation....

9. Francois de Larrard

Francois de Larrard Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Researcher
    Home Page:
    Last Name:
    Larrard
    First Name:
    Francois de
    Sorry to have been somewhat harsh ! Well, I hear some reminiscences of Chopin and Rachmaninov, but without the construction and the quality of harmony, something very demonstrative with little musical content, some 'piano bar' music... I stop ! You're very young, and what I played at your age was probably worse !

10. musicmacman

musicmacman New Member

Home Page:
    Ok, I consider what I am writing at the moment to be works that have very little that is new to contribute to the classical music field. I am 22 years old, and have been playing piano since I was 4. Rather than writing something new with no idea of what came first, I have chosen to learn from the great masters. Over the past 6 years of writing music seriously, I have changed my style several style to accommodate what I have learnt. The first pieces were limited harmonically based on baroque conventions, then came my classical period. I am currently writing in a romantic, impressionistic style with early jazz.

As time goes on I well no doubt venture into serialism with modern traits. There is no getting away from my influences, as you are spot on. I was playing the Chopin Ballad and Rach C sharp minor prelude when I wrote this. You cannot discredit me for writing something like this as being pretentious as at no point I have said I wanted it to be anything more than it is. My professor heard this piece and chose to feature it in a concert, and it was received well.

I will be quite frank, and say you have every right to your opinion, but when you have nothing helpful to say other than it’s in bad taste and pretentious, without explaining, I feel you are just being belligerent.

11. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It was a bit strong indeed... But Francois has both explained and apologized, so let's not beat a dead horse.

As for helpful comments ... I am often surprised about the strong reactions to less than flattering comments. IMO even those are helpful, provided you can search yourself and see the point of them. It's up to you to either use such critique it in your advantage, or ignore it. Also keep in mind that we are not a composer community here. We can be more helpful commenting on someone's piano playing than on someone's composing. I always tend to think like "Hey, you
    re the composer...".

Now I must remember to listen to these tonight and contribute my 2 cents worth.

12. musicmacman

musicmacman New Member

Home Page:
  13. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Having listened at last, I can't say that I like that Miniature either. It seems like an over-extended and over-ambitious collage of gestures and ideas, some nice, some rather corny. To my ears the sections don't fit well together and do not seem to add up to a convincing whole. For a miniature, it's rather long... but would be that if you'd named it differently. The sound is really weird.

The Nightmare is a much better and more original piece. Very evocative in that one could envisage the fox, alternatingly stalking and prancing around. Convincingly done, and there is potential here, but I agree with what blackballoons said on the website - it does not go anywhere. I did not hear the kill, as it were - there is no climax or culmination, or indeed any sense of nightmare (as such, I'd suggest another title, also not to set wrong expectations or invoke comparison with Danny Elfman's enticing score for that film).

So did you really watch a fox stalk and kill its prey ? I'd think they would not normally attempt that with someone nearby. Maybe they're getting cocky, having been protected from hunting for too long.