Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2017.

Complete Chopin Preludes (1)

Discussion in 'Submission Room' started by DavidBryce, Jun 17, 2009.

1. DavidBryce

DavidBryce Member Piano Society Artist

Senior Development Scientist
    Last Name:
    Bryce
    First Name:
    David
    Hi,

I'll be submitting 1,2,3 then 4,5,6,7 and finally 8 tonight. Rest to follow in the coming days.

Many Thanks

David.

2. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hello David,

I am Monica, and I'll be taking care of you. Except -I hate to tell you this - but I need these to be on separate tracks. Please re-submit them in eight files. Thank you.

3. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    Or you can just smash all of them into one lengthy track :wink:

4. DavidBryce

Last Name:
    Bryce
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Monica,

No worries, I had carefully devised chunks that work as sets...but leave that to others! Here they are separately.

Kind regards

David.

5. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    Hi again, David.

I've listened to these and have a few remarks:

I find your playing to be for the most part fine. There are some slips here and there which I could point out if you're interested, but in general the majority of these preludes are note-perfect. As far as interpretation goes, I liked your tempo and style on all of them except no. 5 seems a bit too slow and could use more dynamics. No. 4 has a pretty bad editing clip at bar 5 and in my opinion, because this is one of the 'easy' preludes, would need to be redone because of that. No. 8 - (I love the ending of this one) but I know this prelude is hard to play. Also, there are at least 5 editing clips, so it is too marred, I think. At least I think that's what they are.

However, with these things said, it's not your playing that concerns me, but the sound quality. It is wobbly and has a high-pitched frequency running in the background. It's hard to hear your playing precisely let alone hear changing dynamics. I think you should try a different recording set-up. These are border-line as far as being acceptable for the site, so I'd like more opinions from Chris and other members before I put these up.

6. musicusblau

musicusblau Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

High-school-teacher with subjects music and german
    Last Name:
    Pfaul
    First Name:
    Andreas
    I have listened to them without score, but I´m sure, that all will be right, what Monica said above concerning slips or wrong-notes. I have concentrated just on the sound-quality. For me the sound-quality isn´t the best, but could be accepted, if the high frequency in the background would be deleted with a noise-reduction. Since I´m still working with my old Windows-98-computer, because my new one is broken, I´m wether able to do a sound-editing at this time nor to record myself, btw. :cry:
    Of course, the audible cuts would have also to be deleted. The sound is very stump and I fear, if one do a noise-reduction, it will still become stumper.
    So, may be these recordings cann´t be accepted for the site IMO, but one would have to try it out with a noise-reduction, before saying this finally.
    Overall your playing is nice! So, I´m just talking about matters of recording-technique here, which really should not discourage you as a musician!

7. DavidBryce

Last Name:
    Bryce
    First Name:
    David
    Hi

I entirely concede about the recording quality. A real, real frustration, but will take heart that my interpretations are considered sound (and always would value any additional comment concentrating on this aspect).

I'm somewhat limited by my kit. The 6kHz comes from the PC and have tried notching this out with Audacity, but not satisfied with results. I'm technically minded by profession, but I need help here from some willing gnomes overnight! Also disinclined when I get home and just want to play!

Mic should be fine and have experimented with positioning. All down to electronics I fear. Any tips on affordable (e.g. USB plug in soundcards) also gratefully received.

Indeed there were a few edits (how does one best reduce the discontinuity here?). Rather than masking several slip ups, I'd like to think most of these were reflection of what I'm up against: recording glitches, crying sons, washing machine hitting spin cycle and upset neighbour (you can hear the banging on the walls on the last piece recorded for posterity, which rather leads to a nice quiet lead up to the ending I think!

I would like to plough on through the 24 if you don't mind (tonight's offerings attached up to 12), however it's looking like this may all have to be my dry run.

8. juufa72

juufa72 New Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Grocholski
    First Name:
    Julius
    sounds good so far. Though number 12 is a little choppy, however, I can give you credit of managing the left hand jumping and those pesky right hand notes at a presto speed without any serious slips.

9. techneut

techneut Active Member Piano Society Artist Trusted Member

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    It must have been already a couple of years ago David that you were here with (I think) Bach WTC and Hindemith's Ludus Tonalis. I remember these as being promising, and would have liked to hear more of the Ludus. Now you're doing a complete Chopin Prelude set is a very ambitious task indeed. I have some remarks on both the sound quality and playing.

While your instrument seems nice and sonorous enough, the far-away and unclear sound makes it hard to appreciate. If you are serious about recording, you'll somehow have to find a better recording setup. A decent portable MP3 recorder is not going to break the bank these days, and will give a sound much better that what you get here. Provided kids, neighbours, washing machines, and aircos shut up of course :wink:

Your playing is sympathetic, musical and affectionate. I like your relaxed and ethereal way with no.3. It's a bit slow but it works well like this.

However ! Your accuracy leaves much to be desired. Especially the more demanding items, even though you take them at a leisurable speed, are rather peppered with slips. Not any big problems, just too many notes that are not quite right. An occasional slip is not a problem, but too many of them in a row is not good. The hard items like no.5 and 8 really need more work, and they need to be brought up to tempo a bit more to make their impact. This is the problem with the preludes - the bulk of them are well within amateur reach, but some items will defeat all but the greatest pianists....

10. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    I've now listened to all of these, and apart from the points already mentioned, I noticed a number of bad edits, misreadings, and inaudible notes. A number of tracks seem to cut off rather abruptly.

It's clear to me that you are a talented and dedicated player, and that you dearly love these preludes. I've no doubt you can do this but you'll need to work more on them. Especialy the hard ones, but don't underestimate even the simpler ones ! Quality standards here have risen considerably the last couple of years, and competition in this repertoire is fierce.

11. pianolady

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    I've listened to all of these as well. Since you will need to re-do these in order to get them up on the site, I'd like to make a comment about no. 12.

It sounds like you are sitting on the first chord of each measure too long. And many times it sounds like you are rolling the chords. It's not really supposed to go that way in my opinion, but rather you should pounce down on the chords (they are accented) and move right along without delay. That gives this the drive it needs to keep pushing forward.

12. DavidBryce

Last Name:
    Bryce
    First Name:
    David
    Thanks for the comments. Suitably forthright they will keep me on my toes (or fingertips). I will rise to the challenge.

Techneut, in similar forthright vein: if standards are rising (and power to you...distinguishes the site above the rest)...will this include a trawl of the variable standard displayed on existing recordings?

Are your main costs accociated with bandwidth?

If your banner (and from my perspective I really don't mind promotional banners...I find I can ignore them effectively enough) indicates that people may have to be charged in future, perhaps you could have a page of "fresh" recordings and incur a charge for pianists who wish to keep their recordings up for over say a year?

Perhaps "premier" recordings you felt the site just could not do without would remain.

That might focus some minds. Otherwise I think people might be put off by the thought that the mere existance of popular pieces (popular for a reason, so afraid Ludus, though fascinating, will have to wait for the day I can make more time) on the site would make theirs subject to especially tough judgement.

Believe me, I do know what you're saying.

Thanks Again

David.

13. cmudave1125

cmudave1125 New Member

Pianist; Financial Advisor
    Home Page:
    I have just been listening to these, and generally I like them. There are moments when I would have made different decisions regarding tempo/dynamics, but I do appreciate your interpretations. I am not listening with a score, so I will refrain from making specific suggestions. Generally, I would spend a bit more time with the passagework so that you can make sure that everything is as clean as possible.

A number of years ago I decided to learn the complete Chopin Etudes Opus 10 and Opus 25. I still have yet to complete this project =/ I've been frustrated by lack of an instrument in my home(a situation recently resolved) and too many other distractions - 50 hours/week in finance and 15 more teaching my students. That being said, I still hope to learn & perform all 24 etudes. All that to say that I am impressed at your work on this project, and I applaud your ambition and follow-through.

-Dave

14. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Interesting discussion !

We've thought about that. There are a lot of recordings on the site that would never have been admitted today (including, I'm ashamed to say, a fair lot of mine, mostly older ones). But we don't go and re-evaluate all these, possibly chucking recordings or even artists off the site who were previously admitted. We don't have the time and guts for that. It does make for a bit of a mixed bag, indeed. But it does not preclude us from wielding a stricter admission policy. I believe this reflects the 'real world' to a degree.

Yes, as far as I know. The cost of co-location hosting goes up linearly with the bandwidth usage. And we don't even have round-the-clock support yet (it's expensive...) There's other costs but not nearly as significant.

I'm not sure. It's like putting up an expiration date on recordings - a difficult thing to decide about.
    Not to mention the considerable extra work it would cost to maintain (only 3 people run this site in their spare time).

BTW - That banner is not meant to be ignored :!: It was primarily aimed at listeners, although it would be nice if pianists would contribute some money towards the free web hosting we offer them.

That's difficult to decide. It would require a rating system which idea we've always resisted. One person's indispensable recording is another person's belly laugh, to paraphrase a well-known saying. We just aim to have consensus about whether a record is good enough to admit or not (and we most always have that consensus).

This is only natural, and it happens everywhere. Read any professional review of popular repertoire, and you see the same argument. If there's already 10 recordings of a piece (like the 3-4 'easy' Chopin preludes that everybody does) a new recording had better be good.

Anyway, a reasonable degree of accuracy is expected these days, regardless of a piece's popularity. Some of your preludes seem yet to fall short of that. Only a matter of time, I'd say. You will rise to the challenge.

15. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    is the cost related to storage space?

if so, one could delete forum messages (and attached files) after 6 months, let's say.
    I know you don't delete, because everytime I format my computer and I forget how my equalizing was, I check one of my first messages where Didier suggested me an equalizing. hehehe

there is also video and sheet music in PS, and these don't seem to be PS' focus...
    anyway... the videos and the sheet music are very few, so I think it would make almost no difference removing them.

just suggestions I've been thinking of :wink:

16. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Only to a small extent. Although we may have to consider adding disk space in the near future.

The forum messages don't eat much space, and should kept as an archive. We do clean up attachments after a while though. That saves some space.

I think we should get rid of these (leave to YouTube resp. IMSLP) and have suggested this to Robert. It would help a little but as you say, not very much.

17. felipesarro

felipesarro New Member

System Analyst, for now
    you know...
    if PS' popularity is increasing, maybe it's possible to do a better advertisement strategy... with random banners from different announcers. probably PS' CPM per page may have increased also.
    but I know beans about it...
    in two years, my website gave me US$ 1,67. :lol:

18. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yes it would be better to keep changing these banners and/or pop them up randomly. But it's work... Site maintenance takes an awful lot of time, and we all prefer playing the piano.
    Once donations seem to cease we know it may be time for something different.

19. DavidBryce

Last Name:
    Bryce
    First Name:
    David
    Hi Dave, thankyou. Gosh the etudes. We will keep telling ourselves we will complete one day! Also I should add I've been hardly working on anything else...

Techneut,

would there be a more appropriate forum or may I continue to post the next 12 here (for discussion, not submission)? So you know I will be paying a sub into paypal, simply based on the value I've had out of the discussions.

Have you ever thought of borrowing other's bandwidth....by that I mean encouraging people to submit links (e.g. YouTube (not that I've ever used it)) rather than uploads to your server space prior to acceptance? Perhaps that will only add to your workload. I can see there are no easy answers for you, and whatever the change it will upset someone!

I have renewed impetus to concentrate the practice on those bits I knew (perhaps initially only deep down) that weren't up to scratch. Meantime I'm also looking into venue to isolate myself from the goings on at home (and penetrating the walls), and the recording tech options.

Currently wavering whether to go for mobile recorder or something more general like a PC plug in module...looking for something with "zero latency" for a realtime clavicord amplification project I also would like to have on the go...Perhaps someone has experience of results achieved?

20. techneut

Last Name:
    Breemer
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sure keep them going !
    I did not mean to imply you should donate... but your coment about igbnoring the banner tickled me :) Thanks all the same.

We don't want to be yet another link farm, and we certainly don't want to steal someone else's bandwidth - it's bad enough when they do it to us ! Actually the bandwidth used by the forum submissions doesn't worry us much. It's the main site that generates the traffic.

I can only say that a number of us here are very happy with a portable mp3 recorder. In which you could also plug two good mics to get an even better result.