DONATION STATUS
Needed before 2017-12-31
$ 1,000
So far donated
$ 1,055
Thank you to those who donated to Piano Society in 2016.
A big thank you to Project Petrucci who has helped us already meet our 2017 goal!

Competition time!

Discussion in 'Useful resources' started by pianolady, May 14, 2014.

1. StuKautsch

StuKautsch Member Piano Society Artist

Software Developer
    Last Name:
    Kautsch
    First Name:
    Stewart
    Yes, you should play at the informal recital. If you play one of those Spanish composers that are new to many (and that you play so well), it will also break the ice since listeners will want to know something about the composer. (It's an old party trick - play something no one knows so they'll talk to you later.)

Rainer's right about difficulty; but I think that the Rachmaninov is pretty difficult. I read through it again after I heard you play and my fingers kept getting tangled (and I got a headache). You chose very entertaining stuff, which is not bad because it makes it easier to remember your performance.

He's also right that you should be more assertive; you probably have more recordings than the other competitors combined, so you're no novice. You should be on a bench in front of an audience entertaining them; it's your rightful place. Anyway, have fun at the rest of the event!

2. pianoman342

pianoman342 Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Tucker
    First Name:
    Riley
    Got a chance to see you play with the archive section on the webcast. I really enjoyed all three, I just wish i had my headphones because I was watching it on my phone and it doesn't have great speakers. I'm glad that you are still enjoying the contest, even if you're not number one. As I was always told by my cross country running coach "it's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice." :)

3. pianolady

pianolady Monica Hart, Administrator Staff Member Piano Society Artist

Last Name:
    Hart
    First Name:
    Monica
    @Heather - thank you for that. You and Emanuel are right: anything can happen at a competition. And also, anything after this seems easy! :)

@Stu - I actually did play at the recital. I originally planned to play two pieces, but just played one. It wasn't Spanish though. It was Vladigerov's "Autumn Elegy". It's a piece I learned several years ago but have always liked it and felt like re-learning recently. The audience seemed to like the piece too, and because nobody knew it, nobody knew if I made a mistake. I did make one or two fumbles, but it wasn't terrible.

Sorry you got a headache after trying out that Rachmaninov piece, but what you said made me laugh!

@Riley - thanks for taking the time to watch. I like what your coach said!!
    I am still very much enjoying myself. Today (Sunday) is the last day--the final round. I will simply be sitting in the audience enjoying the music.